Question Cast/Mirror from Phone to TV

Rayj00

Jan 22, 2024
Visit site
My son is a long haul truck driver. He wants to be able to show his cell phone video's on an ONN 24" SmartTV
when he's parked. Right now it looks like he can cast chrome based webpages like youtube, but he has some video apps that will
cast audio but no video? Note: All he has is his cellphone, no WiFi.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ray

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I was tagged because I'm a trucker too, but this is outside my wheelhouse. The only time I've casted anything to a tv was at home and on Wi-Fi, so I don't know what sort of non-Wi-Fi options are possible. The only thing I can think of would be transferring the videos to a thumb drive and plugging that into the tv. But even that may be questionable because not all tv's can read from a thumb drive, and then you have concerns about file type compatibility. Another option would be a USB media player that you can plug a thumb drive or (micro) SD card into, which outputs to HDMI to the tv. I haven't used anything like that but saw quite a few options on Amazon.

Sorry I can't help more, but that's about the only options I can think of. If you really want a wireless casting option, then his only option may be to buy a cheap Wi-Fi router to bring on the truck, and some of them may be cheaper than the USB media player anyway. It wouldn't have internet unless you get a true 4/5G enabled hotspot, but would allow the phone to cast saved videos to the tv if the tv has Wi-Fi built in. The audio only issue with YouTube and the like is probably the phone treating the tv like a Bluetooth speaker. Getting true online streaming to it would require either a hotspot through his carrier with an internet subscription, or a subscription for fast hotspot connections on his phone.

Reactions: mustang7757

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried YouTube?

There are dozens of videos about this and almost as many different ways to do this too.

A quick search turned up this video.

It doesn't require wifi internet but it does offer solutions that require a purchase of other cables or connectors. YouTube will be your friend in this.

Reactions: Daniel Detkowski