Change alarm sound to custom sound

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I did it before but I cant for the life of me remember how I did it. I have a sound I downloaded and I want to make it the sound the clock makes. I can set it as the sms notification but it doesn't show up as an option for the clock. Any ideas?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I think it has something to do with a folder you either have or have to create on your SD card for alarm sounds. You place the sound in the folder once its created and viola. Hope that sparks your memory.

If i recall, if you have ever installed the facebook app it creates the folders automatically on your SD card? Hell i dunno, i've been missing from these forums for a little while.

cybrspidey

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The best thing I have found is the Zedge App. It works great. You can select ringtones to download, and once you download it, you can select whether it be a Notification Sound, Alarm Sound or a Ringtone. I love it. I have been able to put some REAL Alarms on my phone now! Best of all, the app is FREE!

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I use ringdroid, same as the Zedge I assume (don't have Zedge) you can trim and assign any MP3 on your phone to an alarm, notification or ringer. I have combined this with the Imusic app ( like Limewire for your phone, free downloads whoo hoo) to get the songs I want to use as alarms on the fly.

bigredcape

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
notification sounds

You have to put the sound on the root of your SD card, I believe. Er, make a new folder and place it on the SD card

ailurophile

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
If there were a folder called "alarms" then it would be rather self-evident, no? So, apparently, that's not the answer. Just putting it in the root directory didn't work, either.
Like wolf1989, I've put other sounds in the alarm clock. I know because I can see them among the choices for alarm sounds in the alarm clock app. But I don't remember either how I out them there, and a search in Explorer doesn't find them. I didn't use a third-party app, but I will try the one here, Zedge.

ailurophile

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Zedge offers existing ringtones from their library. It DOES NOT allow you to copy a file on your own phone to the alarm clock app. Misleading recommendation.

ailurophile

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Ringdroid did allow me to take an existing sound file and place it as an alarm sound, For that, it works great. But contrary to their own description, it is not a sound-file editor. You cannot alter the length, pitch, volume or any other aspect of the file, as you are able to do with a PC program such as Audacity. I was unsuccessful at editing a sound file and then transferring that edited file onto my phone, but
I think that was more of an aspect of the original recorded sound, or its conversion from the .amr format to MP3 format. But, as I said, Ringdroid can place a sound file into your alarm-sounds folder.

Dennola4

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to bump an old thread,

but I just did this -- added a custom alarm -- only I used a slightly different method. I started with a song I could only find on YouTube. I converted it to an MP3 here and downloaded it to my laptop. I then converted it to .ogg format here, moved it to my device via usb, and used RootExplorer to save it in /sys/media/audio/alarms where the other alarms are stored (all in .ogg format).

Just seemed tidier.

anon(110449)

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but all you have to do is drop any compatible audio format into the Alarms folder on the SDCARD. The only catch is that on some phones I have found you need to reboot for the sound to be listed in the alarms list (not all the time - but try this if you do not see it at first). Simply power off and back on.