Change the home touch buttons?

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to change the order of the home touch buttons at the bottom of the screen? My previous phone had the capability to customize where I want the buttons in that row. Specifically, I want to put the back button on the right side instead of its present placement on the left side. Any advice on how to change it, or even app suggestions are appreciated.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
You'd probably need root in order to do that. Is your 6P rooted?
No I haven't rooted, and I'm not near savvy enough to attempt it. If that's the only way, I guess I'll adapt to its present layout, but just find it surprising not to have that option for such a large phone.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to change the order of the home touch buttons at the bottom of the screen? My previous phone had the capability to customize where I want the buttons in that row. Specifically, I want to put the back button on the right side instead of its present placement on the left side. Any advice on how to change it, or even app suggestions are appreciated.

Your previous phone was most likely "skinned" by the manufacturer to allow for this. The 6P is just vanilla Android. No extra bells and whistles like that.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No I haven't rooted, and I'm not near savvy enough to attempt it. If that's the only way, I guess I'll adapt to its present layout, but just find it surprising not to have that option for such a large phone.

Many of the android skins have great adaptations and that is one of them. Android takes forever to take on these features. My first android phone the captivate has a pull down notification shade while it took a while to come to stock android.

Stock android just got the ability to show the remaining battery % and they made it so tiny it is not that useful.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm guessing you had an LG phone before?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to change the order of the home touch buttons at the bottom of the screen? My previous phone had the capability to customize where I want the buttons in that row..

If it makes you feel any better, this has been driving me crazy too. I came from an LG G3 where you could reverse the order of the buttons. I'm going through thumb withdrawals or something. But... I'm sure we'll get used to it.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You will need to install a custom rom. I am running 'Pure Nexus' and it has the ability to change the order of the nav keys any way you want. You could change the keys themselves if desired.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing you had an LG phone before?

Very good guess. An LG G2. So far, that ability to change is one of three things I miss, along with the Knock on feature, and the center placed volume/power buttons, which IMO should be adopted with all phones made today.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Very good guess. An LG G2. So far, that ability to change is one of three things I miss, along with the Knock on feature, and the center placed volume/power buttons, which IMO should be adopted with all phones made today.

Don't let Phil read this! He hates the volume buttons on phones on the back. I was a bit hesitant about the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone but it feels super natural place and very well engineered.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I had G2/G3 and G4 and really miss 2 things, knock on and the back buttons. Once you get used to them it's hard to go back! The fingerprint scanner does make up for it to some degree, but not completely. I also miss the ability to add change home buttons as well. I liked having a dedicated notifications shade pull down button.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread on xda that does what the op is asking. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3242650 Swap softkeys

Larry Ashurst

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I use an LG G2 and I got the Nexus 6P yesterday. I'm not sure that I like it. I'm finding that my right hand keep turning the volume down. The LG buttons on the back were great and the home button choice was too. I wanted an LG V10 but I can't understand why it wasn't released here. What's the G4 like?

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I use an LG G2 and I got the Nexus 6P yesterday. I'm not sure that I like it. I'm finding that my right hand keep turning the volume down. The LG buttons on the back were great and the home button choice was too. I wanted an LG V10 but I can't understand why it wasn't released here. What's the G4 like?

Well since my thread was resurrected, let me offer some follow up since my original post. It took me probably 2-3 weeks to adjust to the home button switch. While I wish it was an option, I don't even think about it anymore and have completely adjusted. The bigger problem for me at the beginning was the rear buttons. I also was intermittently hitting the side buttons accidentally and feeling around on the back. Today, I have adjusted and again don't think about it. However, I do think that it is a natural place to but the volume buttons, and I wish ALL manufacturers would put them back there, as it is truly very ergonomic. Interesting thing is this though. My wife has a V10, which of course has the rear buttons. I've now been finding myself looking at the side for the volume when I use her phone. Same goes for the on/off button. So, I've basically adjusted my habits without a second thought. If I got another LG phone, I will sing the back button praises as well as the home button adjustability. But I wanted to respond to your specific post, because I think you'll find that you'll adjust. Now if there is one LG feature that I didn't think I would miss but that I still miss to this day, it is the knock on feature (I know it can be rooted, but I don't want to go down that road). Especially with the fingerprint sensor being on the rear of the 6p (and to be fair also on the V10), it would be great if the 6p did have the knock on/off feature on the front of the phone. Hope this helps.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You can download Nova Prime launcher and set double tap to lock the phone

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Rooting your phone is ridiculously easy with the nexus toolkit. You can so everything from that program including install roms you just have to download the ROM and gapps

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware