Charge your S5 with broken micro USB!

combat82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I recently had the charge port on my S5 break and have scoured all over trying to figure out how to charge it until I can get it fixed. I have finally found a way!

I have no way to post pictures being my phone is my only camera but I will put the instructions below. If this has been posted before, feel free to remove.

----------------------------------------------------
Things you need:
USB cable (the longer the better most likely)
Wire cutter/stripper

Instructions

First thing you will need to do is cut off the micro USB end of your cable, leave the side that plugs into the wall charger/pc in tact.

After cutting the end off you will want to strip off around 5-6 inches of the black outer covering. This will expose 4 wires (red, black, green, and white)

The green and white strands are used for transferring data so this will not be needed. You can either cut them off or do like I did and fold them back onto the full cable and wrap electrical tape around them just to keep them out of the way.

The black and red wire needs to be stripped back to expose the bare wire inside, you only need to strip about 1/2 to 1" of wire. After you've done this twist the wire around itself so the strand stays together, then fold it up to make a small ball of exposed wire at the tip. DO NOT TOUCH THE TWO WIRES TOGETHER!

Now comes the kind of tricky part.

Remove your battery cover, and at the top left of the battery you'll see some metal pins that are gold colored. The two pins directly to the left of the battery are the only ones you will be using. The one nearest to the battery you will touch the black wire to first. Once it's in place take the red wire and touch it to the pin directly next to it. After the wires are in place plug in the cable to your power source and the phone will now charge!

Hopefully this will help a few people as I've noticed while searching this issue that the S5 is pretty notorious for having the charge port broken.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it might be better if you buy THIS, which includes a spare battery so you can swap when you need to. It's much safer and will at least future proof your S5 a little with a spare battery.

combat82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps it might be better if you buy THIS, which includes a spare battery so you can swap when you need to. It's much safer and will at least future proof your S5 a little with a spare battery.

This obviously isn't a permanent fix, but like me there might be people that live in a rural area that have to order that online and wait for it to get to them.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This obviously isn't a permanent fix, but like me there might be people that live in a rural area that have to order that online and wait for it to get to them.
I realize that, but there's more to charging a battery than a straight shot from a charger. No current limit, regulation, etc, when you bypass the circuitry. Just offering up a safer option for you to consider until you get your USB port fixed.

combat82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I realize that, but there's more to charging a battery than a straight shot from a charger. No current limit, regulation, etc, when you bypass the circuitry. Just offering up a safer option for you to consider until you get your USB port fixed.

It charges exactly the same way a wireless charger works. In fact, if the phone is turned off and you use this method it will actually say "Wireless charging has started..."

combat82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess it's also worth mentioning since the topic of bypassing circuitry and whatnot has came up, that I used this method to charge my phone from 0 to 100% with no issues. The battery did not get hot, phone still works like it should.

ChadraM2017

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
I recently had the charge port on my S5 break and have scoured all over trying to figure out how to charge it until I can get it fixed. I have finally found a way!

I have no way to post pictures being my phone is my only camera but I will put the instructions below. If this has been posted before, feel free to remove.

----------------------------------------------------
Things you need:
USB cable (the longer the better most likely)
Wire cutter/stripper

Instructions

First thing you will need to do is cut off the micro USB end of your cable, leave the side that plugs into the wall charger/pc in tact.

After cutting the end off you will want to strip off around 5-6 inches of the black outer covering. This will expose 4 wires (red, black, green, and white)

The green and white strands are used for transferring data so this will not be needed. You can either cut them off or do like I did and fold them back onto the full cable and wrap electrical tape around them just to keep them out of the way.

The black and red wire needs to be stripped back to expose the bare wire inside, you only need to strip about 1/2 to 1" of wire. After you've done this twist the wire around itself so the strand stays together, then fold it up to make a small ball of exposed wire at the tip. DO NOT TOUCH THE TWO WIRES TOGETHER!

Now comes the kind of tricky part.

Remove your battery cover, and at the top left of the battery you'll see some metal pins that are gold colored. The two pins directly to the left of the battery are the only ones you will be using. The one nearest to the battery you will touch the black wire to first. Once it's in place take the red wire and touch it to the pin directly next to it. After the wires are in place plug in the cable to your power source and the phone will now charge!

Hopefully this will help a few people as I've noticed while searching this issue that the S5 is pretty notorious for having the charge port broken.

Thanx 4 the tip. Started charging ASAP. After being phone less for a week and trying different solutions this is the only one that worked. Saved my phone's life and mine

Mentaltrinket

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
I attempted this and it seems to have bricked the phone...

Beforehand I was using a box to charge to battery sepparately but wanted to try this out after doing so the phone will not turn on.

username138

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
I attempted this and it seems to have bricked the phone...

Beforehand I was using a box to charge to battery sepparately but wanted to try this out after doing so the phone will not turn on.

Did you ever figure out how to use your phone? The same thing just happened to me. Won't respond to anything.