Charger Cover Broke

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hope all the problems can stop after wireless charger cover can be got.

That would stop all the problems. Heck, even if the cover broke from those rare occasions that we need to open it I'd still be okay. I just don't want to lose the cover due to constant use.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Except that's ridiculous. The replacement cover will most likely be susceptible to the same breaking issue as the current ones. Now they're out $20 and need to spend another $20. Repeat this at least once a month and you have the most expensive phone you've ever owned.

Can't argue with that. I sent my phone back to Samsung to fix it which they did for free. I then bought an extra battery pack so that I can charge a battery without opening the USB Port Cover. And I have bought some spare port covers too. So, yes, I have spent far more than I intended to deal with this design fault. And this is why this will be my last Samsung phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Can't argue with that. I sent my phone back to Samsung to fix it which they did for free. I then bought an extra battery pack so that I can charge a battery without opening the USB Port Cover. And I have bought some spare port covers too. So, yes, I have spent far more than I intended to deal with this design fault. And this is why this will be my last Samsung phone.

But where do you go from Samsung? The only other manufacturer I'd consider is HTC and there having their own issues. The camera lens cover, which is made of plastic, is scratching and making pictures blurry. The coating on the lens is scratching and HTC is charging most of them for damage to device.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
But where do you go from Samsung? The only other manufacturer I'd consider is HTC and there having their own issues. The camera lens cover, which is made of plastic, is scratching and making pictures blurry. The coating on the lens is scratching and HTC is charging most of them for damage to device.

Well, I'll be looking at what Sony has to offer when it is time to replace my S5.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
How many of you folks with broken port cover flaps have purchased after market, non-Samsung cases for the s5? I'm beginning to think the cases do not provide enough clearance to open the port cover flap.

I have a Samsung S-View flip cover replacement s5 back cover with a flip front cover. There is plenty of clearance on mine to open the port cover. It could be some of the non-Samsung after market cases are really the problem.

If that is the situation, buying a new port cover won't help and getting a new s5 won't help either. That also means the fault is not poor design by Samsung but rather poor design of some of the after market cases.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How many of you folks with broken port cover flaps have purchased after market, non-Samsung cases for the s5? I'm beginning to think the cases do not provide enough clearance to open the port cover flap.

I have a Samsung S-View flip cover replacement s5 back cover with a flip front cover. There is plenty of clearance on mine to open the port cover. It could be some of the non-Samsung after market cases are really the problem.

If that is the situation, buying a new port cover won't help and getting a new s5 won't help either. That also means the fault is not poor design by Samsung but rather poor design of some of the after market cases.

In my case I have a belt case so I have to take the phone out of it completely to use it. Can't blame all of this on phone cases. It is poor design and manufacturer.

Lets do an analogy. I drive a Mercedes-Benz. One of the reasons I do is that I know that they put their product through all sorts of tests before unleashing them on the public. Like opening and closing the doors 1000's if not 10,000's of time to test durability. I bet Samsung did not get anybody to try and break these port covers before signing off on the design - unless it is all down to faulty manufacture and bad quality control during fabrication.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll be looking at what Sony has to offer when it is time to replace my S5.

Sony is doing an amazing job with the Z series, I love my Z2!

I would be surprised if Samsung doesn't address this issue on their next flaship (Prime, Note 4 and even S6). Easiest solution is make Wireless Charging STANDARD! I don't see them adding Magnetic Charging Ports like Sony.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Sony is doing an amazing job with the Z series, I love my Z2!

I would be surprised if Samsung doesn't address this issue on their next flaship (Prime, Note 4 and even S6). Easiest solution is make Wireless Charging STANDARD! I don't see them adding Magnetic Charging Ports like Sony.

Samsung are going to have to admit liability first as they are fobbing off most customers who have this problem. I only got mine fixed for free as I persevered and put in an official complaint as well.

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I won't post any links but one can google "witrigs" to order a replacement USB Port cover for $ 19.99 and another $ 4.99 for a special screw driver to attach it.

As I mentioned several times before, that cover should be opened at a 90 degree angle and NOT twisted up or down. It should lie parallel to the USB connector. It is the twisting which breaks the flap.

Place it on a flat surface like a table and gently use one's finger nail to pry off the corner not having the flap. Then use the USB connector to ease the cover back to 90 degrees and then plug it in.

Yea yea yea, you keep repeating your posts.

Fact is that this is a quality issue and samsung needs to own up to it

-Sent from Tapatalk

toconnell74

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You say they fixed yours for free? How did you send it back to samsung? What steps did you take to get that done? As you know if you call their customer service they want $75. Samsung is spending more then any other company in marketing especially with their new Samsung Gallaxy s5 Terminal at the London Airport. HERE IS AN IDEA KEEP THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE THAT HAVE PURCHASED YOUR PRODUCTS HAPPY!!!!! I had the gallaxy 3 and their laptop. Never again now that I have seen their customer service. :mad:

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Bad design, yes. Quality issue, not really as the phone still works fine regardless. The only other way I could see them implementing it is to have the cover slide on some sort of track but then all cases would have to have one side of the bottom cut out to allow you to slide it. The cover has to be tethered some way and this was probably the most inexpensive option they came up with.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
You say they fixed yours for free? How did you send it back to samsung? What steps did you take to get that done? As you know if you call their customer service they want $75. Samsung is spending more then any other company in marketing especially with their new Samsung Gallaxy s5 Terminal at the London Airport. HERE IS AN IDEA KEEP THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE THAT HAVE PURCHASED YOUR PRODUCTS HAPPY!!!!! I had the gallaxy 3 and their laptop. Never again now that I have seen their customer service. :mad:

Well, I live in England so I complained to Samsung technical support over here who then sent me a bag to send my phone back to them for repair. A day later I put in an official complaint with Samsung UK and said that this was not good enough. Every so often I called the complaint number again or e-mailed to complain about how slow the repair was taking - and they chased up the repair section on my behalf.

Maybe it is different in the US but this is what I did. I told Samsung that I was not the first and that I would not be the last who has this problem.

So I got my phone back repaired free of charge.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Bad design, yes. Quality issue, not really as the phone still works fine regardless. The only other way I could see them implementing it is to have the cover slide on some sort of track but then all cases would have to have one side of the bottom cut out to allow you to slide it. The cover has to be tethered some way and this was probably the most inexpensive option they came up with.

It is a quality issue as the cover keeps snapping.If the glove box in my car did not close because of bad design then I'd still call it out as a quality issue. Bad design invokes bad quality.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

If the phone is manufactured with the hinge and the hinge breaks than its a quality issue. A bad design would be if Samsung opted against the hinge and expected us to keep track of the cover when it was removed.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Comparing it to the Sony XPERIA Z2 flaps I noticed the problem is the length is too short. Also before closing make sure you slide it in.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras. " - MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If the phone is manufactured with the hinge and the hinge breaks than its a quality issue. A bad design would be if Samsung opted against the hinge and expected us to keep track of the cover when it was removed.

I saw it as a bad design because as soon as the AT&T rep opened the port and showed me I made the comment that's not going to last long but it's a personal opinion I guess.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bless you, it needed to be said.

No kidding. I think that user literally copy and pastes the same post over and over again about how you don't need it and you can just go buy one.

Personally, I don't wanna spend an extra $20 to replace some flap that costs probably 10 cents to manufacture

-Sent from Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001