Charger Cover Broke

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I think suing is the obvious move here. Not enough law suits in our society if you ask me.

Posted via Android Central App

chitown54

May 6, 2014
Visit site
If it does break off, is it necessary to replace? This is the first phone I've ever owned that had a charging cover.

It was one of the first things I noticed on the phone and wondered how many would have that thing broken within a few months. My guess is there will be plenty of 3rd party replacement options if it becomes an issue.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If it does break off, is it necessary to replace? This is the first phone I've ever owned that had a charging cover.

It was one of the first things I noticed on the phone and wondered how many would have that thing broken within a few months. My guess is there will be plenty of 3rd party replacement options if it becomes an issue.

If you're not worried about water resistance than the cover serves no purpose. The only reason its there is to protect from water damage

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Sophia Zhao

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
no difference, it's said original, so it's same. Though sealed the USB port well, i didn't try if it's water resistant. I don't want to take risk.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think suing is the obvious move here. Not enough law suits in our society if you ask me.

Posted via Android Central App

Normally, I'm against lawsuits, but they need one for this, especially if they have the audacity to blame the customer and act like they never heard of the issue after many people have already called about it

-Sent from Tapatalk

KiwiBandit

May 9, 2014
Visit site
My charger cover broke 2 weeks to the day after purchasing the Galaxy S5. I was on the phone with AT&T and Samsung for roughly 3 hours total, no exaggeration. Samsung told me this was not a known issue and that I would have to pay and go through the process of mailing phones back and forth while the cover was fixed. I was very frustrated talking to these two companies. Samsung especially, who pride themselves in customer service. Their response of "It's not a known issue" is absurd. How long has the phone been out? Issues have to start somewhere.

Since I've checked this forum, there have been many, many more people having the same problem. This piece, which costs less than say $5, the companies are making their consumers jump through hoops for a devices that are less than a month old to get fixed. Sounds like it should be a known issue to Samsung by now and they should be doing something about it.

My end result, I called AT&T as a final last breath of hope and getting my point across and I was able to get a new phone. I convinced them that I had a defective phone and the piece broke off, it was NOT physical damage and to have a nice brand new phone break like this was crazy. Key words! My persistence paid off, but there was a lot of frustration and hours wasted on my weekend morning dealing with this. Was not fun. The S5 charger cover will continue to be an issue. I bet the new one will break soon enough. Good luck everyone.

In addition - I am grateful AT&T helped out with this and shows a new light on Samsung's customer service for a brand new device which has high competition. Samsung should have been the one to solve this issue, not the phone carrier.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This thread scares me. So essentially my warranty would be void if my cover falls off? Or they just don't cover that cover specifically and if something else breaks its covered?

Edit: Verizon told me if it breaks and than another issue happens such as display failure the warranty may not cover it due to physical damage. Everyone needs to force Samsung to acknowledge this by calling and social media. Samsung says its not covered at the moment, not VZW. Don't mention a broken flap if something else goes wrong.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
WTF on Verizon's version of physical damage. That is for the device actually being damaged, screen crack, frame cracks, etc.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Mines broken off as well after 2 weeks. Its the Hinge part not the Cover itself.
When I returned to the supplier, the answer was ....... You may be able to get an accessory one at the shop

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mines broken off as well after 2 weeks. Its the Hinge part not the Cover itself.
When I returned to the supplier, the answer was ....... You may be able to get an accessory one at the shop

That's ridiculous! You shouldn't have to buy anything for the phone at this point. This may be the last Samsung phone I buy. HTC is replacing cracked displays for free minus shipping or you can get a replacement for $30 immediately. This has to be within 6 months of purchase and its a one time thing. Then we have Samsung on the other hand who is blaming us for a weakly made charging cover.

Screw you Samsung!

ewa12321

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have S4 Active (water resistant S4). It has same USB cover like S5. This model has the same problem with USB cover. Lots of people damaged it/lost etc. I'm opening and closing it minimum 4?5 times in day or more and no problems. Mine phone is almost 1 year old. Just be gentle and carefully open/close USB cover. It's in manual too.

typed from dark room

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have S4 Active (water resistant S4). It has same USB cover like S5. This model has the same problem with USB cover. Lots of people damaged it/lost etc. I'm opening and closing it minimum 4?5 times in day or more and no problems. Mine phone is almost 1 year old. Just be gentle and carefully open/close USB cover. It's in manual too.

typed from dark room

It's not a Matter of being rough, it just seems some devices have a defective glue holding it together

-Sent from Tapatalk

WOWKHRiku

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Well great, I guess I am part of the family too.
Charger cover broke as well within 2 weeks of purchase.
Sigh. I ain't paying 70 bucks for just one small repair from Samsung Customer Service.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well great, I guess I am part of the family too.
Charger cover broke as well within 2 weeks of purchase.
Sigh. I ain't paying 70 bucks for just one small repair from Samsung Customer Service.

That's ridiculous. I'm buying that wireless charging cover as soon as its available. Hopefully my cover doesn't break before that or I'll have to raise some hell.

WOWKHRiku

May 11, 2014
Visit site
That's ridiculous. I'm buying that wireless charging cover as soon as its available. Hopefully my cover doesn't break before that or I'll have to raise some hell.

Contacted my phone provider (T-Mobile) Getting a free replacement
Samsung Service Sucks.
Phone Carrier Service is superior.