Charging Port Damage

psco1

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, while plugging in my phone to charge, my charging port became useless. Instead of plugging into the charger, the little strip that fits into the mini-usb connector was pushed in and up so that it can no longer be plugged in. I have tried a few different usb cables, but all of them are unable to plug into my phone with the damage to the strip in the phone.

Needless to say, my phone has since died, and I reactivated my Incredible so I could have a phone.

Has anyone else had this happen before, and does it mean my phone is pretty much useless? Or can that port be easily/ cheaply replaced at a Verizon store?

I have only had this phone for 6 months, and the last thing I want is to be stuck with my old Incredible for the next 14 months. :-\

Any suggestions are appreciated?

Dsakfong

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I would just suggest taking the phone back to the Verizon store and having them replace it under warranty. It's not like you were abusing it.

Good luck!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Android Central Forums

psco1

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Dsakfong. I brought it in this past Saturday and they determined it was user / physical damage. Not sure how they did that, but they said if it was sent in to get fixed, I would likely be assessed a $300 smart phone repair charge.

Plan B was to buy a conductive back, and two new chargers. I guess I will have to be happy with the $100 fix, and not the $300 fix. Still looking for a cell phone repaid shop in my area that may be able to do this cheaply. :-$

Dsakfong

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that... Charging pad is certainly a cool option, but I wonder if a different store / rep / online might give you a better answer.

I had battery heat & restart issues with my Spectrum, and the Verizon store rep commented on how my own charging port was loose but never "accused" me of abusing my phone, but rather ordered in a swap out for me.

It was a pain to reinstall all my apps but it works better than before, at least in the battery heat / charging behavior (still has fits of restarts every once in a while but a battery pull & sim card reseat usually cures that.

Of course, YMMV, but hope you have good luck either way.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Android Central Forums

psco1

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Supposidly, if I would have brought the phone in while it was lose, I would have been able to change it out. The rep said, since it is now damaged, there was a good chance that if we sent it in, my cell bill would have been assessed a $300 charge to fix.

Moral of the story----> If you have a lose charging port- bring it in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord