Question Chasing 8Apr2024 Eclipse

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Anyone know if there is an overlay that can be added to Google Maps (or to another decent navigation/map app) in order to help position oneself in the path of totality, and also for seeking out open skies, for the upcoming 8Apr2024 total eclipse that is about to pass over parts of North America?

I've seen various maps of the path of totality vs partial darkness zones and such. However, wonder if there are any navigation or map apps that combines such with also real live navigation/map functionality? Heck, even better yet would be if there was combinations with live weather radar views, like the Weather Network has (I've already submitted/asked them if they will be creating such an overlay).

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
That one provides some nice features, like being able to pick places using a map and then indication of predictions for start of partial and totality, duration of totality, etc... The links to nearby communities and such seems also useful. I think the pro version is needed for beyond a simple historical cloud indication. Overall, not bad.

For some reason, for me the pick a location on map feature is a bit laggy, across even different devices.

Reactions: VidJunky

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
This site via browser (and in supplement to standard apps for maps/navigationI and weather) I find to be quite good, and better than any of the specific eclipse apps I found):

Reactions: edubfromktown