[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey boys and girls.... kinda stuck, hoping someone's around (and sober enough) for some tech support

Here's what I know. GSM Galaxy Nexus. Was running a 4.2.1 AOKP variant (by Roman). Noticed the last couple days that the phone would indicate it was charging even when it wasn't, and sometimes with USB cable plugged in, it WOULDN'T charge, even when it should be (verified with 2 different cables, plugged into fully powered up computer, and also the stock wall charger). Most times when the phone was connected to the computer, it MIGHT charge, but the computer wouldn't recognize it as a USB device

I noticed the nub inside the USB port on the phone looked bent down to far so I gently bent it upward a bit. That seemed to resolve the communication issue between the computer and the phone (and I assume the "phone thinks its charging" issues as well)

So tonight I tried to flash back to stock using Galaxy Nexus Toolkit and also Wuggs Toolkit (using stock factory images). I tried 4.2.1, and also 4.0.4 All resulted in the same: Toolkit finishes up, and phone starts booting, but it hangs on the boot animation. I left each one to boot up for over 10 minutes, and no dice.

So, anyone out there have some ideas? I haven't tried doing anything via ADB/Command prompt - simply because I've never attempted ADB commands before.

Help?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey boys and girls.... kinda stuck, hoping someone's around (and sober enough) for some tech support

Here's what I know. GSM Galaxy Nexus. Was running a 4.2.1 AOKP variant (by Roman). Noticed the last couple days that the phone would indicate it was charging even when it wasn't, and sometimes with USB cable plugged in, it WOULDN'T charge, even when it should be (verified with 2 different cables, plugged into fully powered up computer, and also the stock wall charger). Most times when the phone was connected to the computer, it MIGHT charge, but the computer wouldn't recognize it as a USB device

I noticed the nub inside the USB port on the phone looked bent down to far so I gently bent it upward a bit. That seemed to resolve the communication issue between the computer and the phone (and I assume the "phone thinks its charging" issues as well)

So tonight I tried to flash back to stock using Galaxy Nexus Toolkit and also Wuggs Toolkit (using stock factory images). I tried 4.2.1, and also 4.0.4 All resulted in the same: Toolkit finishes up, and phone starts booting, but it hangs on the boot animation. I left each one to boot up for over 10 minutes, and no dice.

So, anyone out there have some ideas? I haven't tried doing anything via ADB/Command prompt - simply because I've never attempted ADB commands before.

Help?

Might be time to just try it the command line way if the toolkit is failing. It isn't difficult at all, and the guide we have should walk you through it without issue. I never recommend toolkits or 1-clicks to get things done on a Nexus.. fastboot commands are simple to enter and generally much more reliable. :)

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish i could flash a kernel in touch recovery. This comman line stuff is annoying. Sometimes

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
@dancing
I hope you didn't flash a toro/toroplus file while in the toolkit. Do what 2d recommend. The sticky in this forum should work fine, except you need the yakju/takju img files and adjust your commands accordingly. I'm sure you could find them with Google.
Only difference between the two files is yakju has wallet included.

Sent from my mako :)p)

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
@dancing
I hope you didn't flash a toro/toroplus file while in the toolkit. Do what 2d recommend. The sticky in this forum should work fine, except you need the yakju/takju img files and adjust your commands accordingly. I'm sure you could find them with Google.
Only difference between the two files is yakju has wallet included.

no I always make sure I get maguro files.

And for whatever reason I'm an idiot when it comes to ADB. either it's not installed properly, or my phone is more borked then I thought. Either way the only way my computer will talk to my phone is with one of those toolkits. :(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Dammit.. Just had a flaming shot of something I should have snapped a pic for Chatter. I guess that's good enough reason to get another tho..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Good news: I got it to finally boot (after many attempts at different ways of getting SOME factory image on there) into 4.0.4. Waiting for the update to 4.2.1, and then I think I'll go to bed.

Tomorrow's plan... drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and set up my phone (install apps, put my music on, set everything up again, etc...)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok it was flaming sambuca haha.. Delicious. Been around 8 years since I've had sambuca and this was by far my fav :)
Took two shots to make up for the first :thumbup: :beer:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356754598244.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356754598244.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 23
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356754608106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356754608106.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 23

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Good news: I got it to finally boot (after many attempts at different ways of getting SOME factory image on there) into 4.0.4. Waiting for the update to 4.2.1, and then I think I'll go to bed.

Tomorrow's plan... drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and set up my phone (install apps, put my music on, set everything up again, etc...)

Out of curiosity please elaborate.. How'd you get booted?
And I've got the factory restore process down to a science here. Drunk guesstimate is in ~30 mins I can take a Nexus and get everything I need off it, do a factory image restore, and return everything plus reinstall all the needed apps and data. Vast majority of the time is just waiting for things to transfer over usb :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards