Chrome vs "Internet" browser.

FennecTheFox

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
1.) Is the default internet browser on the S3 better than Chrome?

I always use Chrome, but I'm wondering if Samsung configured the default to run faster than Chrome on the S3?

2.) If I go into "Application Manager" and click on an App - What does "Clear Data" do? or "Clear Cache" ?

3.) Does anyone know if an app like Go Launcher EX will slow down the S3 or drain the battery faster?

4.) Anyone know how to delete "My Themes" in Beautiful Widgets?

Thanks.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I found the default browser to be a bit lame, so I use Chrome.
If you want to have Flash work, you'll need to use something else besides Chrome.

If a program gives you problems, clear the cache and/or data.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

I always use Chrome, but I'm wondering if Samsung configured the default to run faster than Chrome on the S3?

2.) If I go into "Application Manager" and click on an App - What does "Clear Data" do? or "Clear Cache" ?
Also deletes some of the browsing trails if you are trying to make room or erase your tracks.
3.) Does anyone know if an app like Go Launcher EX will slow down the S3 or drain the battery faster?
I have not noticed that it drains the battery more than the stock launcher. But I cannot say whether it slows it down or not...I think it does but I am willing to live with it so that I can reap the other benefits (like landscape, scroll-able dock, scroll-able wallpapers, customizable icons, etc

Thanks.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
2) "Clear Cache" will force the app to reload the data (i.e. refresh everything). Apps frequently cache data in memory because it's quicker to load that data than to re-read from storage or download it again. Clearing the cache will force it to reread everything (making the initial load of the app slower than normal, after which stuff will be cached again).

"Clear Data" will delete all your settings and login info and it will be like you just installed the app for the first time. So for example if you clear data on the Facebook app, you'll have to login again. Likewise if you would Clear Data on something like your text messaging app, you'll lose all the conversations and settings and have to set it up again. Clearing data basically "factory resets" the app back like it's a fresh install.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Chrome scores terribly on html5test.com.. havent tested stock

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't see what everyone's obsession with Chrome is. I'd almost go with the stock browser over it, but it does have a slightly smoother UI than stock. Dolphin blows away in every aspect IMO. its smoother, faster, and has a ton of sweet little options and add ons that make browsing a seemless experience. Dolphin ftw

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The "obsession" with Chrome is because it has proof of a very good browser over the last few years.

If Chrome mobile would support flash, then it would be perfect, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Chrome scores terribly on html5test.com.. havent tested stock

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

I noticed this too... It is kind of out of place since Chrome on desktop scored higher than even Firefox.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Chrome on the GS3 sucks battery big time.
I have tried it 3-4 different times and ever time it makes a huge battery life difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i was having freezing problems with stock. after switching to chrome has never happened again

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Chrome on the GS3 sucks battery big time.
I have tried it 3-4 different times and ever time it makes a huge battery life difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I noticed it definitely runs heavy in the background, I dont use it enough to compare that accurately but I can tell you it definitely takes up more memory than dolphin and seems to ramp up processor use more. It's not that it's that bad of a browser. I just strongly suggest to everyone to install Dolphin and spend a week using it. The tabs, bookmarks, gestures, flash support, and very smooth overall experience have won me over. I tried using Chrome after all the hype but I was missing Dolphin so much, my little experiment lasted two days.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Mary Guardi

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is terribly slow on startup. Takes it 2-3 minutes to "unfreeze".
Does anyone know how to fix that/ workaround?
I have Note II N7105 with Android 4.1.2.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mary,
If you've already tried clearing the cache and clearing data for Chrome and the problem still occurs you could try Dolphin Browser: http://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser

Have you already tried rebooting the phone?
What about booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: I updated to the latest version of Chrome. Don't like it, I need to figure out how to go back to previous version.

Now, I have to swipe across the URL bar. Alt more hassle than just from the screen's side to side. And existing pages get reloaded after inactivity. So unnecessary.

gs4, tmobile. I've been using the default Internet app (furthermore, I've been using it since I had my Galaxy s2), but one site happened to not work. That prompted me to try Chrome. So far, it works no worse then the default browser.

There's a shortcut I REALLY enjoy, and that's if you swipe starting from the the left/right edge of the screen towards the other direction, you can change tabs on the fly. AFAIK, in Internet, you have to tap on the tab button, then tap on that other tab. Plus, it brings up slower too.l when you tap on the tab button.

Also, i like better when you open a new tab, it remains focused on the current tab, instead move to that new tab.

However, this may be power of suggestion, but Chrome does seem to use up battery quicker.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz