Clock loses minutes

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My S2 occasionally loses minutes on the clock. This only seems to happen when I am in an area with no cell signal at all. When I have a signal, the clock will reset to the right time as soon as I make or receive a call.

Anyone else seeing this? And how does the S2 keep time, is it entirely dependent on a cell signal?

dakhath

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Check under "settings > Date and Time". I'll bet that "Automatic date and time" is checked. That setting does use your cell network to keep time. If you uncheck it you can manually set the date and time.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another trick is to turn airplane mode on then off. It forces a refresh of the cell network and will adjust the time. Although, you would think it is strange that for all these phones can do now, you would think it can keep time, and only need to check in say once or twice a day.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
golfdriver97 said:

> "Another trick is to turn airplane mode on then off. It forces a refresh of the cell network and will adjust the time."

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I had just been ringing my own voice mail, than hanging up as soon as it answered.

> "Although, you would think it is strange that for all these phones can do now, you would think it can keep time, and only need to check in say once or twice a day."

Last night I set my S2 to keep time on its own, as dakhath instructed. 15 hours is not much of a test, but for now my S2 is still to the minute with my desktop computer, which is synchronized with NTP time servers.

The whole losing minutes thing was most irritating to me because it lost time at the exact minutes when I needed it the most. I work a factory production job, and we used to work until the next shift was in place, if you clocked out 15 minutes late it was no big deal. In fact it was expected.

Now new management says clock out on an exact time or else face discipline. But don't wait around at the time clock, that might get you wrote up too. =-)

So my only option was to kill 3 to 5 minutes in the locker room after changing out of uniform. My work location is a weak signal area, and being surround by metal lockers often finishes off the weak signal. When that happens, the clock stops in place at the exact time I needed to know the exact minute.