Coming from Windows Phone

MarineDawg

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Heya folks. I am coming from Windows Phone and this is the first time using Android outside of helping coworkers setup company e-mail or bluetooth devices (we are on day four.) Now that I am here, I for the life of me can't get text messages to read through the Audi MMI. This was an out of the box thing with Windows Phone and I assume it is also in Android albeit I can't find how to enable it. Also there are some message apps all vying to be the default in a "pick me pick me" type fashion; is this the problem as only one of these can read and receive messages in a true handsfree bluetooth manner? Lastly in the days of windows phone 7 Facebook messages were treated as text messages and also read via Bluetooth, is this functionality in Android as well?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Audi is pretty fickle when it comes to cellphone compatiblity and what works for one may not work with another. I know, I've had two. Check the Audi site for compatibility with Nougat, which I assume you have cuz you're in the S8/S8+ forum. On the phone, the Messages app should be the default with only one other (Messages+) that I can think of as being on the stock device. And yes, I'd have to agree that you'll need to set a default SMS app. You also may have better luck in the Audi forum for your vehicle.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an Audi but my last 2 cars with this capability have been constant on the initial setup of the Bluetooth connection, I'd suggest to impair the car connection from the phone and do the same on the car. Then pair it again and if it's like my cars, after it connects it will popup a couple of messages on your phone asking you to grant permission to the car access your contacts and messages, if you don't do that it will never get the messages on the car, again, at least on my cars.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, neither Android nor iOS will do that. I used to be a Windows Mobile user too (Lumia Icon) and when I switched to iOS then back to Android, it was one of the (many) things I took for granted on my Icon.

You have to tell both to read your texts. The same goes with Facebook. The app doesn't matter, since it has to go through the OS to access Bluetooth. They all behave the same.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, neither Android nor iOS will do that. I used to be a Windows Mobile user too (Lumia Icon) and when I switched to iOS then back to Android, it was one of the (many) things I took for granted on my Icon.

You have to tell both to read your texts. The same goes with Facebook. The app doesn't matter, since it has to go through the OS to access Bluetooth. They all behave the same.

If you are talking exclusively about Audi, then you may be right as I haven't tried with one yet, but if you are talking in general, then that's not true, all my actual cars and previous 2 do this, you just need to give it permissions to, like I mentioned before. My actual car even gets and read my emails if I use Samsung email app.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with @erasat, android will do that (I passed the test so am not limited to apple) with no problem. My Outback works great with the S8 and I did nothing to kick that in other than pair with BT.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with @erasat, android will do that (I passed the test so am not limited to apple) with no problem. My Outback works great with the S8 and I did nothing to kick that in other than pair with BT.

Did your car ask for permissions? I know that it may and most likely varies by manufacturer, but like I said, with my previous and actual cars, Infiniti and Mazda, it always asks for Contacts and Messages permissions, if you skip it on the initial pairing setup, basically it was easier to just unpair and delete the connections and just begin from scratch.

GizmoEV

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP except that I've had the phone a few days longer.

If you are talking exclusively about Audi, then you may be right as I haven't tried with one yet, but if you are talking in general, then that's not true, all my actual cars and previous 2 do this, you just need to give it permissions to, like I mentioned before. My actual car even gets and read my emails if I use Samsung email app.

I have a Kia Soul EV and it only asks to get contacts and pictures. With Windows 10 mobile, (Lumia 950XL) the phone it self reads the texts and other things. From your description it sounds like it is the car which does the reading of the texts. With Windows 10 I could ask the car to "call Cortana" which would activate Cortana then I could ask her to do anything I wanted from calling, texting, to driving directions, etc. In the phone settings there was an option to have messages read when there was a Bluetooth connection, always, or never. Reading over Bluetooth was the default.

So, if my car doesn't do the reading of messages, how do I get that functionality on a Galaxy S8+?

Thank you,

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP except that I've had the phone a few days longer.

I have a Kia Soul EV and it only asks to get contacts and pictures. With Windows 10 mobile, (Lumia 950XL) the phone it self reads the texts and other things. From your description it sounds like it is the car which does the reading of the texts. With Windows 10 I could ask the car to "call Cortana" which would activate Cortana then I could ask her to do anything I wanted from calling, texting, to driving directions, etc. In the phone settings there was an option to have messages read when there was a Bluetooth connection, always, or never. Reading over Bluetooth was the default.

So, if my car doesn't do the reading of messages, how do I get that functionality on a Galaxy S8+?

Thank you,

I've had great experiences with all my android phone, the only inconveniences have been with the iPhone messages they only keep the ones on the current driving.

It's understandable that this varies by manufacturer and even car models but I can tell you to check the Bluetooth connection settings and see if you have the Message access option in there and if you do, that it's on.

If nothing else works you can always try to see if the Car Mode app available on the Galaxy apps does what you want or at least a viable alternative.

MarineDawg

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I will have to play around with it and I thank everyone with their suggestions. I will try the various apps (Messenger, message +, messages) as default and re-pairing to see if the message dialogue appears...another thought is to see if Cortana on Android grants that functionality. I won't have time to dedicate to fool around with this until the weekend. If I can get it work results will be posted.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I will have to play around with it and I thank everyone with their suggestions. I will try the various apps (Messenger, message +, messages) as default and re-pairing to see if the message dialogue appears...another thought is to see if Cortana on Android grants that functionality. I won't have time to dedicate to fool around with this until the weekend. If I can get it work results will be posted.

It will be good to know if Bixby, once fully functional can do this and other cool things as advertised.

CDH

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
One way would be to use the Android auto app and sync with the car Bluetooth. It will definitely play text messages and has ability to reply to text messages via voice. Don't use Facebook, so I'm not sure how the Facebook messages work, my guess is it doesn't with Android auto.