Coming to the Evo 3D from the Sensation

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
H everyone!!! I just got a Sprint Evo 3D after coming from the HTC Sensation on T-Mobile. I had to switch to Sprint do to a new job. I really am enjoying my Evo 3D. I just had some general questions about Sprint that maybe some can help me with.

1. What is that compass symbol next to the 3G indicator? My GPS is off and I want to make sure I'm not wasting battery life.

2. Is there a Sprint app that monitors usage?

3. Coming from T-Mobile (GSM) their 3G speeds where around 2-4mbps down. With Sprint's 3G I'm getting less than half a meg down. The best I got was about a 1mb. I'm assuming this is normal for CDMA technology?

4. Wimax is surprisingly faster than T-Mobile's HSPA+ which shocks me. I got 12mbps down and the highest I had on T-Mobile was 9mbps down. Average WiMax speeds?

5. What's Sprint's policy on tethering?

6. I had to get a Airave router due to reception issues at home. Does this only benefit voice? If it works with data does it due WiMax? I was told its like having a cell tower in your home. Can those who have used one elaborate on the performance? They assured me it would cost me nothing but I do fear for hidden charges.

The Evo 3D feels extremely solid in the hand and has night and day build quality from the Sensation. I loved the Sensation but this is more up my alley. Speaker also goes much louder than the Sensation. I already applied the latest software update which is 1.13.651.7. Any known issues?

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to answer my newbie questions. I feel pretty good going with Sprint even though I swore I'd never leave T-Mobile. I loved T-Mobile but Sprint seems to be the carrier everyone wants.

Clipp

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
- Yes, from my experience, Sprint 3G isn't the fastest, but it's reliable. I live in a major city and get about 1Mbps down on avg. I never really go into the 2Mbps range... 500Kbps would be kind of annoying though.
- I'm surprised you're getting that high with WiMax. The most I've seen in my area is 6Mbps, usually avg at 3-4Mbps.
- Pretty sure Airave is only for voice, not data.
- I don't think Sprint has chimed in on tethering yet. But if you go crazy in one month with unrealistic numbers, I think they may try to charge you. At least, that's how it was back in the WinMo days. Just try and keep it at a reasonable limit.

Reactions: MattMJB0188

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
1. I believe that is the GPS for 911 (I could be wrong, but for some reason that popped in my head)
2. App drawer>Sprint Zone>My Account>Manage your account>Phones on account> data usage
3. Sounds about right (dependent on coverage in your area)
4. Close to tower = blazing speeds Inside building a little distance from tower = lucky to get signal (this is my experience, your coverage may be better (or worse)
5. Technically you should have to pay, I haven't heard of anyone one sprint being busted for tethering without the plan. You need to be rooted to use this without paying the charge. There are some free options on the market, they all come with restrictions that may or may not make it worth it.
6. The Airave does not do Wimax. It shouldn't cost you anything if they offered to send it to you. If you asked for it, there may be a charge. I am not 100%.
7. The phone Icon can dissappear from the lock screen after the update. If this happens, change scenes, and then change back, this will refresh your icons.

I hope I answered all of those correctly...

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is this airave thing? Is it free if I have bad signal.?

I got Sprint yesterday and got home and the coverage is absolutely horrible. I called them up and they offered me this AIRAVE modem which acts like a tower and boosts signal in your home where you have limited service. They do charge for this, I believe $5/mo. I'm in a fair coverage area which is why they probably waived the costs. I'm also a new Sprint customer. It might be hard to get it if you had Sprint for a while. Just my 2 cents.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I was on the phone with customer service one day and dropped a call, When they called back the lady ask me if I knew about the Airave, I said yeah but I dont want to pay extra. So she offered me a free one and waived the monthly fee. All I have to pay is tax on it which she said is like $1 a month so that's fine with me...

Also if you have an airave it boost your 3G speeds but will still not be as fast as the router that the Airave is hooked to. WiFi always beats 3G!

Clipp

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I was on the phone with customer service one day and dropped a call, When they called back the lady ask me if I knew about the Airave, I said yeah but I dont want to pay extra. So she offered me a free one and waived the monthly fee. All I have to pay is tax on it which she said is like $1 a month so that's fine with me...

Also if you have an airave it boost your 3G speeds but will still not be as fast as the router that the Airave is hooked to. WiFi always beats 3G!

wow, that's awesome, had no idea it now boosts data speeds. Back when I first heard of it, it was only for voice. Do you have a link to the product that supports 3G? I have a friend who is getting terrible 3D data in an area that's supposed to be good... he could use one.

BlakeDW

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For the GPS, the little target means that GPS is on, but not in use (so it isn't using data/draining your battery). When you see a little sattalite with waves coming off of it, that means the GPS is active.

I get about 8Mbps around town most of the time. That's actually better than I was getting with my Clear wireless internet.

I'm pretty sure sprint is fine with single computer USB tethering, but I don't think they require you to pay for the wifi hotspot.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. I searched the Airave thing and the latest one does do 3G. To bad it doesn't do 4G.

Well, the Airave DOES give you pretty fast 3G speeds. I was getting 3Mbps. However, I don't see the point. The 3G radio not only uses a lot more juice than wifi, but on wifi I get 10Mbps.

The only advantage to using the airave 3G is:

1) You have a ton of 2.4ghz interference, enough that your wifi connection stinks. The airave operates at 1.9ghz so you won't have any issues. I will probably be thankful for this once we have another baby, since our baby monitor completely destroys our wifi signal in the house.

2) You don't control the access point. Maybe the Airave lets you connect with your phone, but you aren't allowed to connect to the router for whatever reason. You'll get the benefit of the faster speeds. I guess if you have guests over that use Sprint and they don't have access to your router, you'll be helping them out.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
For the GPS, the little target means that GPS is on, but not in use (so it isn't using data/draining your battery). When you see a little sattalite with waves coming off of it, that means the GPS is active.

I get about 8Mbps around town most of the time. That's actually better than I was getting with my Clear wireless internet.

I'm pretty sure sprint is fine with single computer USB tethering, but I don't think they require you to pay for the wifi hotspot.

I don't do the WI-FI hotspot tethering. Occasionally I will tether via the USB cord. Its nice to know I have truly unlimited data. I'm not one to abuse that because that's when it goes bye bye. ):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796