Confirmed unlocked

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Since it's SIM unlocked, does that mean VZW will work on it too? I would hate to go to VZW to pay $500 whereas I can pay $360 at ATT.
The barrier may not be technical. Verzion chooses which devices it will allow on its network via it's internal database, regardless of a device's specifications. I learned this the hard way when I sought service for an iPad. Apple specs devices such that they are capable of working across multiple networks. But Verizon and Sprint only allow specified MEIDs on their network. So while my Sprint tablet had the radios to work on Verizon's network, they wouldn't allow it. The reverse was also true.

This is a long winded way of saying, no one here can answer your question. Customer service can't give your a definitive answer either. The only way to get the answer is to do it. Buy the AT&T variant, then walk into a Verizon store and try to put it on a plan. I'm not discouraging you, I think Verizon has been drinking its own KoolAid. Please go forth into the great unknown and report back to us.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I've never had tmobile. And as a precautionary method, I didn't even turn on the watch. I removed the sim card and paired my watch at the tmobile store. I had him check to see if my watch was compatible with the wearable plan. He didn't seem too worried that it wouldn't work. After he confirmed, I activated the service.

I'm gonna use this watch as a gauge to see how well tmo works in my day to day places. If it works good then I might bail on Verizon altogether.

Lol edit.....I meant if calls and text is received with no problems with this watch then I'd consider giving tmo a try with another unlocked phone. I just re-read my post and I sounded like a buffoon using a watch to gauge a carriers smartphone service haha.

Last edited:

glimmerman76

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm. Put an (unactivated) T-Mobile SIM in and the watch didn't complain at all.

I'm going to guess that Android Wear doesn't have any UI for unlocking, and AT&T must offer an unlock method for their locked devices so they just didn't lock it.

Actually ATT does not have to unlock wearables and hotspots. case and point ATT now wont unlock a gear s or s2. I think its more android wear does not have sim locking built in to it since this is the first watch with cell service.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Where in Nor Cal? My friends in San Jose are finding them here and there. But i did notice in So Cal near the cities I frequent, stocks are dwindling.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually ATT does not have to unlock wearables and hotspots. case and point ATT now wont unlock a gear s or s2. I think its more android wear does not have sim locking built in to it since this is the first watch with cell service.
Interesting, when did this come into effect? They unlocked my original Gear S for me in Nov2014, while Tmobile, who is my actual carrier, refused to do it even when paying full price for the device. Tmo also had the nerve to charge $50 more for the same device.

I kinda sorta really hate cell phone carriers and their games.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
just walked into a att corporate store and they won't sell it to me outright says I need a contract with them. jerks

N5x on Fi Network here

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
just walked into a att corporate store and they won't sell it to me outright says I need a contract with them. jerks

That has been my experience. Some stores wouldn't even let me pay full price if I put it on my plan. Said that I had to buy on service contract or installment plan.

Posted via the Android Central App

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
If you are going to try to buy it from a non carrier, I would wait until expansys-usa gets them. I saw that their HK site sells the unlocked LG urbane 2nd edition so it's only a matter of time before it hits their usa website. I've bought a few things from them before (not an unlocked phone) and I've had good experiences except sometimes it takes a few weeks to get what you ordered.

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I was able to buy from an ATT corporate store outright with no contract or plan for a full price. I went to t-mobile and added a wearable plan, went home and inserted the sim, after a few minutes I received a text message on my phone:

The SIM for wearable device is an ineligible device. Services to the SIM are blocked until it is returned to your eligible wearable device.

I have the same issue last November when this was first released, I will try to use my phone's sim to the watch and see if it works, the last time this works, I am expecting it to work again. I will also try to call T-Mobile if they can do anything to recognize the Urbane 2 as a wearable.

--Update
I tried my SIM from my S7 edge to the Urbane 2 and it works fine,

Last edited:

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was able to buy from an ATT corporate store outright with no contract or plan for a full price. I went to t-mobile and added a wearable plan, went home and inserted the sim, after a few minutes I received a text message on my phone:

The SIM for wearable device is an ineligible device. Services to the SIM are blocked until it is returned to your eligible wearable device.

I have the same issue last November when this was first released,
I've tried to do the same since November. They had me pick up a new SIM card, I reprovisioned it a few times, but as soon as I turn on cellular, I get that same message. Someone here said they managed to just go into a Tmo store and get the wearables plan with it no problem, so my hope was that tmo got their act together finally.

Oh and BTW, I had been using a Tmo wearables sim in my ATT Gear S for a year before that, but as soon as I inserted the sim into the Urbane, it would no longer work in the Gear S either. Even after freshly reprovisioning it.

Last edited:

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I didn't sign up for a tmo plan until the associate verified that my urbane was able to be activated on the wearable plan. I had him use the cellular data and voice to make sure. I haven't had problems with my watch. When I go online to my acct, it shows data set to 500mb but the device itself says unknown which is understandable.

Remember I do not have a tmo smartphone plan or any other plan with them. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. In theory it shouldn't.

I'm hoping it's an ignorance thing with tmobile since this is the first Android Wear with cellular capabilities.

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried to do the same since November. They had me pick up a new SIM card, I reprovisioned it a few times, but as soon as I turn on cellular, I get that same message. Someone here said they managed to just go into a Tmo store and get the wearables plan with it no problem, so my hope was that tmo got their act together finally.

Oh and BTW, I had been using a Tmo wearables sim in my ATT Gear S for a year before that, but as soon as I inserted the sim into the Urbane, it would no longer work in the Gear S either. Even after freshly reprovisioning it.

After talking to T-MO tech support, I ended up cancelling the Wearable Plan, as it will only work on wearable sold by t-mobile. The only way to make it work is to change the plan to a regular voice plan, which will cost $20 for me (add a line). I guess for now, I will be using the watch using bluetooth/wifi only, which is fine with me. I can always use my phone sim if I really need to use it without the phone.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennygreene