Connecting Chromecast to a Monitor?

RollingProtocol666

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I just purchased a HP monitor and Chromecast, I want to connect my Chromecast to the monitor as well as the laptop, but there's only one HDMI port on the monitor. I want to minimise the amount of cables if I can. Maybe a dumb question but what does the USB B USB A cable actually do when connected from laptop to monitor? Thought I could use this cable to free up the HDMI port, any ideas? Thx guys.

RollingProtocol666

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Thanks mate, from this point could you explain what the USB B USB A cable is for, I.e. do I need to still connect this from the laptop to the monitor, not sure what it does actually?... Tried googling but couldn't find anything useful in layman's... appreciate your help... just want to minimise cables etc... cheers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For Chromecast, the USB port is only for power, so you connect the USB cable to a charger plugged into a wall outlet. The HDMI plug goes into the monitor or TV. The way you connect to the Chromecast from your computer or any other device is through your wi-fi network.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question but what does the USB B USB A cable actually do when connected from laptop to monitor? Thought I could use this cable to free up the HDMI port, any ideas? Thx guys.

Many monitors now have built in USB hubs, so it's possible that's what yours is for. I.e. You run a single USB from the computer to the monitor, then plug your peripherals into the monitor USB outputs. Your monitor manual should explain the ports.

It's unlikely that the USB could be used for video. If you are trying to feed both the laptop and a Chromecast to the monitor, but the monitor only has one HDMI input, then you'll need an HDMI splitter. Then again many monitors also have a display port input as well, which may be an option if your laptop has a display port output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36