considering moving from samsung s7 to pixel 3

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

i've been using my samsung s7 16GB (w/ a 16gb micro) since august 2016, and i honestly haven't had too problems with it. the apps work enough to get the job done, the battery could be better (but three years down the line, still satisfactory), and the user interference isn't a bother (except for the bloatware. thanks, samsung.). i've dropped it a lot but it hasn't gotten any cracks- just some scratches but that's just from the wear and tear.
i'm pretty much an average user. i don't play any intensive games, and i mainly just use my phone for texting and music, and pictures when the opportunity arises. personally, i really don't like the samsung camera- the unremovable beauty filter just ticks me off, and i like what i'm seeing in regards to the pixel 3 camera.
i've been considering the 64GB pixel 3 (or pixel 4, if that proves to be a better option) since i've been using a total of 32GB on my s7 with ease.

my main concerns with upgrading would be:
the lifespan- will it last me at least two or so years without any serious issues? i'll keep a case and a screen protector on my phone as a preventative measure, but i really don't want to be bothered by getting a screen replacement after dropping it indoors, etc. not a huge fan of my phone just refusing to boot up, and other software issues.
the specs- the specs don't seem like a big shift with the 4GB RAM, similar water resistance levels, etc etc. is it worth the shift?
the display- the resolution on pixel 3 does seem lower on paper, but when using it in real life, is it bothersome?

with everything in consideration, should i just make the jump from s7 to one of these phones? or should i wait a few more months (i can probably stretch my s7 for a couple more months, should i need to.)
also, if it comes down to choosing between pixel 3 and 4, i'd lean towards pixel 3 because of the price jump, to me, isn't proportional to the upgrades being offered. unless it is?
and if you'd like to suggest a phone other than the pixel 3 or 4, please do so! thank you!

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I think you'd be really happy with a pixel 3 or 4. I have the 3 and I'm really enjoying it.
The screen is great except in full sunlight, where it is sometimes hard to read.
I use my phone in a similar manner to you and I haven't had any battery issues. Occasionally I will charge it during the day, but not often.
If you are on Verizon, you might look into their deals on a pixel 4. They have a generous trade in offer going that your s7 might qualify for.
You can always get the phone and try it out for a few days and return it if you don't like it.
Good luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Pixel bootloaders can't be unlocked. If that matters, it's worth the extra money to buy from Google. (They have a "pay by the month" plan.)

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
Yes, 100%. I had a S6 and it is still the worst phone I've ever had, not hardware wise but the software was terrible. I like Samsung phones now, they've moved in the right direction with their OS. Stock Android on the pixel vs the S7 is worth it alone, pair that with the camera on the 3/4, you wouldn't regret it. For your use, I wouldn't worry about specs too much, if you use it for basic use, either the 3/4 will be a good choice. As for longevity, Google will release software and security updates for 3 years, as long as you take care of it, there is no reason it wouldn't last a couple years.

For me, the smaller pixel 3 was just too small, with the XL, it's a nice size and you get a better display. If you want to stick with Samsung, the S10, S10e are excellent phones as well and you can find some pretty good deals on those. The S10 display is significantly better than the 3's but you just can't beat stock Android vs Samsung's One UI.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I moved from the Nexus 5 to the LG G6 and were probably going to stay that way awhile until Google started selling them last month new for $300 off. We picked up a Pixel 3 and a Pixel 3XL and love them. We are on Google Fi so the automatic switching to wifi was an added bonus. At this point, I don't think there is enough of an improvement to justify the price increase for the Pixel 4.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
i've been using my samsung s7 16GB (w/ a 16gb micro) since august 2016, and i honestly haven't had too problems with it. the apps work enough to get the job done, the battery could be better (but three years down the line, still satisfactory), and the user interference isn't a bother (except for the bloatware. thanks, samsung.). i've dropped it a lot but it hasn't gotten any cracks- just some scratches but that's just from the wear and tear.
i'm pretty much an average user. i don't play any intensive games, and i mainly just use my phone for texting and music, and pictures when the opportunity arises. personally, i really don't like the samsung camera- the unremovable beauty filter just ticks me off, and i like what i'm seeing in regards to the pixel 3 camera.
i've been considering the 64GB pixel 3 (or pixel 4, if that proves to be a better option) since i've been using a total of 32GB on my s7 with ease.

my main concerns with upgrading would be:
the lifespan- will it last me at least two or so years without any serious issues? i'll keep a case and a screen protector on my phone as a preventative measure, but i really don't want to be bothered by getting a screen replacement after dropping it indoors, etc. not a huge fan of my phone just refusing to boot up, and other software issues.
the specs- the specs don't seem like a big shift with the 4GB RAM, similar water resistance levels, etc etc. is it worth the shift?
the display- the resolution on pixel 3 does seem lower on paper, but when using it in real life, is it bothersome?

with everything in consideration, should i just make the jump from s7 to one of these phones? or should i wait a few more months (i can probably stretch my s7 for a couple more months, should i need to.)
also, if it comes down to choosing between pixel 3 and 4, i'd lean towards pixel 3 because of the price jump, to me, isn't proportional to the upgrades being offered. unless it is?
and if you'd like to suggest a phone other than the pixel 3 or 4, please do so! thank you!
Absolutely. Pixel 3 is a fantastic phone. Will be a major upgrade from S7 especially the camera. You will be very happy with it. Easily another 2 years phone.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I had an S7 for a couple years. Easily one of the nicest yet most frustrating phones I've ever had. The pixel 3 doesn't have the best battery life but it's better than my S7 ever was.

The camera will be a huge jump, and the performance should be better too. Fast charging will be better and the phone doesn't get hot when charging(my S7 got pretty hot when charging). The fingerprint sensor is far better to, the one on the S7 was unreliable at best for me. Plus you'll get at least two more years of software updates every month.

At the current $300 off price I don't think you can go wrong with the pixel 3 right now.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for 4 years and except for the bloatware, was a decent phone. The Pixel 3 I have is just 1 year old. It has many useful features, especially the camera. I'm glad I made the change.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I echo everyone else's comments regarding a P3. I used a P2 for two years and traded it in on a Note 10 that I mostly really liked. The negatives for me was Samsung's insistance that I voluntarily allow them to access my Contacts in order to sign into the Members app so that I could purchase the extended warranty/insurance. That was insane and a hard no for me. The FPS was horrible and the phone lacked the AptXHD high res audio codec that I need for my really nice Audio-Technica BT headphones.

That said, I returned the Note 10 and bought a brand new sealed 128 GB P3 from someone on Craigslist. I had heard horror stories re: the Samsung UI. I liked it except that I felt like I needed a college course to learn how to do everything in Sammy world–and I'm very technically inclined. I REALLY like the free and unincumbered feel and usability of pure Android. Coming from Motorola prior to Pixel, I had heard people say things like that but didn't really know what they meant as I came from several Motorola's which are really lean Android as well. But after using the Note for a month I REALLY know what everyone was talking about now. The pure Android experience and the first in line updates are really really nice.

I think that the way Google optimizes the OS for the Pixels does a nice job of maximizing battery life, though I do hate that don't offer much larger batteries, storage, RAM, etc. While the P3 only has 4GB of RAM, for your use I would be willing to bet you that you never have any issues with it. I never did with the P2 and the P3 seems fine to me so far. Samsung doesn't do a good job with this. Both the Note 10 and my Galaxy Tab S4 curn through battery even when not in use. I always have to turn off the tablet or turn on Airplane mode if I know I won't be using it right away, else the battery is always dead.

Pixel 3s are heavily discounted now though I've seen that these discounts are only through Novemeber 1 or 2, though I think it would be silly to increase the prices again. But if you odn't make your decision right away, Black Friday is on the horizon and I'd bet that they'll be on sale again, along with the 3a

That said, you shouldn't count out the 3a either, especially if you might be open to the XL version since it has a 3700 mAh battery. –Just a thought . . .

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully some of this is helpful.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I started with the Pixel 3 and the display was a little small for me. Now I'm using the Pixel 3 XL and it's fine. The major complaint about the 3 XL is the large notch, but you get used to that very quickly and forget it's there. I prefer the 3 XL over the 4 XL for several reasons, including cost, fingerprint scanner on the rear, and the ability to store photos in Google Photos at their original resolution. I've also read that many of the new software features on the Pixel 4 will be coming to the Pixel 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia