Considering the Note, Have a Few Questions

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Being that the note 8 is on sale at bestbuy, I've been considering it. I feel like I'm in the minority of people of hold on to a phone for 2 years. I currently have the S7 (non edge) and it is getting noticeably slower with very poor battery life. I had the note 3 before my s7 and loved the bigger screen at first, but after about 1.5 years, I found myself wanting a smaller, easier to hold phone. I think the slimmer size of the note 8 will be easier to handle than the extra wide note 3 was.

Is it too late to get a note 8? Since I will likely have it for the next 2 years, should I wait and see what the S9 offers? The note 8 has been out for about 3 months now which is about 1/4 of its life, assuming Samsung sticks with their release schedule.

Can anyone who used to own an S7 (non edge) comment on the size? I have played with the note in stores and it feels great, but I will certainly have a protective case, so I'm curious as to how big a note 8 with a case is compared to an s7 with a case (currently using a UAG on the s7). When comparing in the store, my S7 with a UAG was the same width as a naked Note.

Lastly, are there any good screen protectors that work on the note 8 and are case friendly? I've searched this before, but most posts I have found are a couple months old when everyone was first getting their phones. I wasn't sure if there have been any new releases since then. The Whitestone seems to be the most talked about, but with mixed reviews. I never found a good protector for my S7. I have a glass Spigen, but all 4 edges are raised and I hate it.

mysamsungs7e

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the S7 edge and this is bigger but it's not unmanageable. I love the spen. I'm still learning all the amazing things this phone does. I'm using a 10 dollar screen protector that works great. It's from Amazon. It's a 2 pack.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
To add better grip and use at home, all cappeted, the Bear Motion is slim and not bulky but no thick bumper protection.

I was worried about size/wt and width. Mate 9 was wider and got awkward after a year. N8 is nice, only slightly larger than S8+ in a good way. Less edge and flatter.

Slim Case for Galaxy Note 8 - Bear Motion Premium Back Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone (Blue)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0745XMNB...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6104690

For more support:

Bear Motion for Galaxy Note 8 - Shockproof Premium TPU Bumper Case with Transparent Back Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone (Black Trim)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K16HZ4/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6104690

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you if the Note 8 will be too big for you or not but I can say that I find it to be a nice size. Maybe it's because I've been using big phones for so long, but I think it's easy to hold and use with or without a case.

While the Note 8 has been out for 3 months I wouldn't consider that to be 1/4 of its life. It's probably a quarter of the way to the next Note, but the 8 should be a strong performing device for a number of years. My neighbor has a Note 4 and it still runs great. If you take care of your device and do proper maintenance, it will last you are least the two years and probably more. Good luck to you. The Note 8 is by far my favorite phone of 2017.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I just asked a coworker to see his phone to see how it felt. He has an s8+ with an otterbox defender. I know the defender is one of the biggest cases you can get and I don't plan on getting anything that big, but it felt huge! I hope the UAG is much narrower and slimmer

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not sure either. The only thing that I can think an think of is that I'm running low on internal storage space. Otherwise, I regularly power off my device and clear cache. Battery life has become horrendous.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm really not sure either. The only thing that I can think an think of is that I'm running low on internal storage space. Otherwise, I regularly power off my device and clear cache. Battery life has become horrendous.
Iffliad non-apps to SD and cloud. 128GB are cheap enough and Samsung has a USBC 128GB SD you plug into the port for $40.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the note last night online. I figure I have the 14 day return period to test it out and see if I like it. I also ordered the UAG monarch since that is the only way I will know for sure

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Being that the note 8 is on sale at bestbuy, I've been considering it. I feel like I'm in the minority of people of hold on to a phone for 2 years. I currently have the S7 (non edge) and it is getting noticeably slower with very poor battery life. I had the note 3 before my s7 and loved the bigger screen at first, but after about 1.5 years, I found myself wanting a smaller, easier to hold phone. I think the slimmer size of the note 8 will be easier to handle than the extra wide note 3 was.

Is it too late to get a note 8? Since I will likely have it for the next 2 years, should I wait and see what the S9 offers? The note 8 has been out for about 3 months now which is about 1/4 of its life, assuming Samsung sticks with their release schedule.

Can anyone who used to own an S7 (non edge) comment on the size? I have played with the note in stores and it feels great, but I will certainly have a protective case, so I'm curious as to how big a note 8 with a case is compared to an s7 with a case (currently using a UAG on the s7). When comparing in the store, my S7 with a UAG was the same width as a naked Note.

Lastly, are there any good screen protectors that work on the note 8 and are case friendly? I've searched this before, but most posts I have found are a couple months old when everyone was first getting their phones. I wasn't sure if there have been any new releases since then. The Whitestone seems to be the most talked about, but with mixed reviews. I never found a good protector for my S7. I have a glass Spigen, but all 4 edges are raised and I hate it.

This note 8 is waay bigger than a s7.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the note last night online. I figure I have the 14 day return period to test it out and see if I like it. I also ordered the UAG monarch since that is the only way I will know for sure

You will be happy with that combo. If in say 6 months it feels too big just sell it. They hold their value well. Plus your already down to about 600. Could sell it now for 700 plus new or close to it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe