Constant wifi data transfer

Alfawuf

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
I noticed constant data traffic on my Galaxy S9+ after Android 10 update. By constant I mean all the time the wifi indicator shows inbound and outbound traffic. Data usage meter shows several hundred MB of data, even overnight while not using the phone.

So I deleted every app and reset to factory, Google account reinstalled apps after fresh boot after reset and the same thing.

Is this normal? Have I been hacked? Dont know what to do.

Rich

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi , welcome
Wifi could be used by apps while sleeping to update if you have automatically update on wifi or get notifications. Why would you think hack ? You seeing things rearrange on the phone any accounts been compromised ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's pretty normal. The system and other apps will often periodically refresh data in the background. You can get a better idea of what apps or services are using data in the Settings>Data Usage​ menu.

Alfawuf

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
Maybe I never noticed before, I dont believe I had ever seen this. The constant data transfer made me think I could not rule out being hacked some how. Tonight I am going to see exactly what happens. My router provides statistics on connected devices and shows total byte and packet transfer.

Alfawuf

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
OK, So with location, auto app update, wifi scanning all turned off my phone used 70 MB of data on wifi overnight, 8 hours. Way too much. Usage app showed almost all was Google Play Services. Why is it using so much data and constantly? How can this be stopped?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK, So with location, auto app update, wifi scanning all turned off my phone used 70 MB of data on wifi overnight, 8 hours. Way too much. Usage app showed almost all was Google Play Services. Why is it using so much data and constantly? How can this be stopped?
Google play services will always run on your phone regardless you turn this and that off which I don't recommend because when you need something or app tries to carry out a task your going be here for other issue . These things are completely fine on today's smart phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
70 MB these days is a drop in the bucket. If you have a severely limited data plan, or if you just want to limit the phone's web communication, then you could always turn off both wi-fi and mobile data before going to sleep.

BrianLightManBruce

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Alternatively you may also disable WiFi for the App/Service. Go to settings —> Apps & notifications select the App in question. On the Apps property sheet select Mobile Data & WiFi. Disable/Deny WiFi Control by ticking the slider.