Contacts. Can't enter CUSTOM Phone.. number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this for a Google account contact, or a contact in another account?

Try clearing the app cache and data for the Contacts app in Settings>Apps. (You shouldn't lose any of your contact information, because there's a separate Contacts Storage app for that.)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Is this for a Google account contact, or a contact in another account?

Try clearing the app cache and data for the Contacts app in Settings>Apps. (You shouldn't lose any of your contact information, because there's a separate Contacts Storage app for that.)

It's a regular Google account. I cleared both the Storage and cache, but the problem still exists.
Actually, this is the only contact that needs a CUSTOM Phone number, so I can't test it with other contacts
It probably is because the CUSTOM input field is CORRUPT before any entry is attempted.
As usual, most of my problems will this Pixel 3 have been minor and I've developed workarounds. Thanks again for your help. I've missed you in this group.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it tell you the field is corrupt even before entering a custom label, or does it tell you after you've entered it?

Can you create a new contact with all of that contact's information, and then see if Custom label works then?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
No, the CUSTOM field is Corrupt after I select it. When I start typing, the characters do not appear, and when I close it, it reverts to CUSTOM ,and is empty,.
I don't know if the screenshot I've attached is any help.

Attachments

• 33134.jpg
    33134.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if that might have to do with how magnified the screen is -- is that due to DPI adjustment?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if that might have to do with how magnified the screen is -- is that due to DPI adjustment?

Were back to the DPI Setting again which I, like you, have always had something to do with my problems since the update to Google 12. I've reread all of the posts about DPI.
I did disable DEVELOPER OPTIONS back then, but DPI has surfaced again wilh this CONTACTS problem.
I've reenabled DEVELOPER OPTIONS, but have NOT YET made any changes,but I noticed that the DPI shows as 320 DPI, but not what the default setting should be.
Is it possible that this setting is the cause of my, CONTACTS, BATTERY %, AT A GLANCE problems?
If I need to change the DPI to DEFAULT, what should the number be.
As I posted earlier, the long anticipated update, did nothing for me.
As you can see, I still haven't run A FACTORY RESET. I know you've moved on to Pixel 6, and have more on your plate than old Pixel 3, 3XL problems, but I appreciate what you've done for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought you had changed it back to default after those previous discussions, but it looks like you didn't. Your DPI is so low that it makes the screen very atypical -- I wouldn't be surprised if this also caused various issues like the ones you're facing. It's certainly worth testing the DPI back at default, which is 411 (at least on my Pixel 6 Pro, and from what I found in this thread for the Pixel 3 XL: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/... is default.,number for the notification side.).

If the default DPI causes readability issues, then you could use the Magnification feature in Accessibility, at least temporarily.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed that I have been misinterpreting DP {smallest width} as DPI which I have always known as (DOTS PER INCH). Where do I find the DPI you're using?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's the same thing. I believe you're referring to the correct Developer Option called "Smallest width). Make sure it's set to 411.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That did it. The field is not displaying the phone number as I type, but it does populate field when I complete the entry.. The change also enlarged the Keyboard slightly.
My Status Bar still doesn't work properly with the % icon nor did the AT A GLANCE module.
But thanks again for keeping an eye on this Group. I appreciate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Show us a screenshot of what your system settings look like now that you've reverted the Smallest Width to 411. I'm curious to see if it looks more typical, or if it still looks very magnified.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Show us a screenshot of what your system settings look like now that you've reverted the Smallest Width to 411. I'm curious to see if it looks more typical, or if it still looks very magnified.

Is this what you want?

Attachments

• 33169.jpg
    33169.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, thanks -- just wanted to make sure the screen looked closer to the default setting. But your "Smallest width" DPI is still 441 -- try changing it to 411 and see if the other issues still persist.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The 411 was a typo. I meant to type 441.
However, I got so used to the 320, the new size is too small for me, so I'm going to go with 320 and just live with the limitations. At least you showed me how DPI affects me display. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance