Contacts - where are the groups?

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, so this is my first Nexus phone. I used to have groups on my phone contacts. Was that a touch-wiz feature?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not well-implemented in stock Android. In the Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display. You can select there which groups to display. There is unfortunately no way to sort all contacts via contact group in the app.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It's kinda weird that Google offers groups on the web and they don't extend the features to Android. It's not something I use daily but I found it handy when searching for a Dr and could not remember their name, I would select my "Medical" group for example.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The mobile apps are usually going to have fewer functions--there are numerous examples, for example with Google Calendar or Google Drive. But I agree, this omission is a bit of a headscratcher.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, so this is my first Nexus phone. I used to have groups on my phone contacts. Was that a touch-wiz feature?

Since Lollipop, they changed the contacts (at least it changed on my Droid Turbo). It used to have three different pages, all contacts, favorites, and groups. Since Lollipop, there is only all and favorites. I downloaded an app called Contact Groups from the Playstore. However, it ONLY shows the contact groups, no all or favorites. So if you want the same functionality as pre-Lollipop, you need to make a folder and place both the Contact Groups and Contacts apps in it. Don't know why they did it, as it limits functionality.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I installed Contacts+. It looks like a nice app for first impressions. The groups work perfectly.

I have a support ticket in for the question but what I can see it does not continue to use Google's Contacts. It copies them over to their database so I cannot continue to maintain my contacts on my PC which is a deal breaker.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
From Contacts+ Google+ support page they use the Google Contacts data, they don't use their own copy. It supposed to sync the data over. I found that some data that I change gets synced but important fields like phone number changes are not getting synced.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
It's not well-implemented in stock Android. In the Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display. You can select there which groups to display. There is unfortunately no way to sort all contacts via contact group in the app.
Do: Menu > Contacts to display > Customize. There you can set a custom view of selected contact groups for each account. Not a perfect solution, but close enough for what I need.

I use AquaMail for email and it will do email to a group, .multiple groups or selected people in a group or groups.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech