Control media volume with bluetooth headset buttons

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site
Hi, is it possible to control the media volume of the device with bluetooth headphone buttons? I know that when I change the volume while having a call, the buttons changes the volume in the device not themselves. But when listening to music or watching a video the buttons change the headset volume, not the phones media... Something like media volume sync on samsung. I'm using oneplus 7 pro - stock android 10 and Sony MDR-XB650BT. Anything to change in developer options? A magisk or xposed module? Anything else? I can't find anything on the web, please help...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, the phone's ROM and kernel would have to allow that. If it happens, they do, if it doesn't happen, they don't.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
There is a setting in developer options "Disable Absolute Volume". Last time I got a new phone my headset wouldn't get very loud because it was linked to the bluetooth volume on the phone. Max on the phone did not max out the headphones. using that setting unlinked the headset volume and the phone volume. Not sure if it would help, but see if it is toggled on.

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site
There is a setting in developer options "Disable Absolute Volume". Last time I got a new phone my headset wouldn't get very loud because it was linked to the bluetooth volume on the phone. Max on the phone did not max out the headphones. using that setting unlinked the headset volume and the phone volume. Not sure if it would help, but see if it is toggled on.

Actually I think that my headphones aren't even connected to the media volume, they have their own volume. Only the call volume is linked. And the option you are talking about is turned off. But thank you for responding and trying to help!

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why yours is not controlling the media volume. My Sony ear buds and Skull Candy Hesh 3 headphones allow this. Look in your sound settings. Look for earphone mode, then set absolute Bluetooth volume to on. Screenshot_20191231-085449.jpeg

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site
It's probably a problem with my headphones, because yesterday I've conected bluetooth speakers and I could control media volume from the physical buttons of them. Maybe they even can't control the volume of the media on the phone, but it's still strange because they control the volume of conversation on the phone.