Correct steps to get root back after OTA Update?

ryanf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I need some help with getting rot back. I *think* I lost it after the 4.2.2 OTA update but can't recall for sure. I don't actually do much that needs root (or haven't recently I should say) so I just haven't noticed. Now SuperSU won't start saying "there is no SU binary installed, and Super SU cannot install it. This is a problem!" When I run root checker I get this:

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Super User Applications Status:
Superuser application - is NOT installed.
SuperSU application - version 1.41 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/bin/su does not exist.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwxr-xr-x root shell 96144 2013-02-10 23:02 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is NOT present BUT root user ownership is present. Root access is NOT correctly configured for this file!

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your Nexus 4 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.3.3 from joeykrim in the Android Market - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheckp&token=LxX-PFIe

When I try to boot into recovery I get a little android with a red exclamation and it says "No command."

I originally rooted using MSkip's Toolkit and before I Got through the whole process again I wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do. Also, will the process wipe everything?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can download the app root checker by joeykrim, from the play store to see if you still have root.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ryanf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You can download the app root checker by joeykrim, from the play store to see if you still have root.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The quoted text in my original post is the results of running that app. It's not a question of if I still have root but how to get it back.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You should still be OEM Unlocked, yes?

Go to bootloader and check. (from powered down > hold Volume Up and Volume Down buttons + hold Power button > release all the buttons when the phone vibrates) Look for the lock status on the screen... If it says unlocked then great. It's the unlocking that wipes all your data, not the rooting.

Try WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. That is the handiest way to Root. It will also install TWRP recovery.
Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.4 | WugFresh

ryanf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You should still be OEM Unlocked, yes?

Go to bootloader and check. (from powered down > hold Volume Up and Volume Down buttons + hold Power button > release all the buttons when the phone vibrates) Look for the lock status on the screen... If it says unlocked then great. It's the unlocking that wipes all your data, not the rooting.

Try WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. That is the handiest way to Root. It will also install TWRP recovery.
Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.4 | WugFresh

Thanks for the info. Yes, still unlocked.

If install TWRP recovery will I still get normal OTA updates? With 4.3 hopefully getting officially released Wednesday I'd like to get that via OTA.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope... You'll have to revert to stock to get OTA updates.

Maybe wait for 4.3, then Root?

Supposedly you can still take an ota even with a non-stock recovery... People swear they've done it in twrp. I haven't seen it myself yet... You'll probably have to reroot though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ryanf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help everybody! I know ebnough to do the basics and get around but didn't know where to start on this and couldn't find out a sure answer when searching. With your help I did a quick backup of some important stuff (just to be safe!) and used MSkip's Toolkit to run root + busybox installer. Everything went fine and it is now showing as rooted again. Every root-required app I've tried works fine. Thanks again!

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I need some help with getting rot back. I *think* I lost it after the 4.2.2 OTA update but can't recall for sure. I don't actually do much that needs root (or haven't recently I should say) so I just haven't noticed. Now SuperSU won't start saying "there is no SU binary installed, and Super SU cannot install it. This is a problem!" When I run root checker I get this:

When I try to boot into recovery I get a little android with a red exclamation and it says "No command."

I originally rooted using MSkip's Toolkit and before I Got through the whole process again I wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do. Also, will the process wipe everything?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Most likely with every update you do you will lose root. I think using CWM recovery can allow you to keep root and even a few apps will help you keep root but nothing is guaranteed. Most likely you will just have to re root again. Alternatively you could just flash a custom ROM as all custom ROMs are rooted anyway.

Nope... You'll have to revert to stock to get OTA updates.

Maybe wait for 4.3, then Root?

If using TWRP then you definitely do not have to revert to stock recovery. Not sure about CWM

ryanf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Most likely with every update you do you will lose root. I think using CWM recovery can allow you to keep root and even a few apps will help you keep root but nothing is guaranteed. Most likely you will just have to re root again. Alternatively you could just flash a custom ROM as all custom ROMs are rooted anyway.

If using TWRP then you definitely do not have to revert to stock recovery. Not sure about CWM

I'm going to try the Root Keeper app. If that doens't work I'll just re-root. It was pretty easy once I was confident about where to start.