Costco require return of S6 if I cancel contract within 90 days but doesn't say what will happen if

Status
Not open for further replies.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Costco requires return of S6 if I cancel contract within 90 days
but doesn't say what will happen if I don't. (no mention of $$$
penalty in writing.... only saying that the phones "must be returned")

This is not the carrier's ETF. Obviously the ETF will be charged
by the carrier itself.(AT&T, Verizon, etc)

So what will happen if I buy the S6 from Costco, call the carrier
after 60 days to cancel and pay ETF. How will Costco enforce
their own rule that says the phone must be returned?

(link goes to Costco's wireless phone sales website)
http://membershipwireless.com/index.cfm/go/content/do/returns
It's listed at the very bottom.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Costco used to be very popular for Verizon customers trying to upgrade at a discount while retaining unlimited data. The way I understood it was that if they receive word from the carrier that the contract is unpaid, late or cancelled, they simply add the MSRP of the device to your Costco bill, which must be paid in full in order to utilize the membership and/or renew it. They do this because they are paid up front on the contract by the carrier and they have to return the money if the customer does not have an account in good standing at any point in the first 90 days on that particular line. This even goes so far as to include simply putting any different device on that line.

On a side note, generally we discourage discussion on methods of defrauding others, including companies. I am sure that is not your intent, but the hypothetical has the possibility of reading that way.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
They will bill you and it will eventually go to a collection agency which will hurt your credit severely. This is not recommended and is going to hut you more than getting a "free" phone. They could potentially sue you, but will probably just bill you instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays