Counting steps / fitness

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would like to hear how others have their watch/apps set up to count steps. I have been using Google Fit since before I got the watch, so I would like to keep using it, but I'm not sure that everyone is playing nice. Sometimes I see 3 different step counts on the watch, in Google Fit, and in Zenfit. Do I have to have Zenfit installed on the phone for the watch to count steps and report them to Google Fit? I tried uninstalling Zenfit and it zeroed out the steps on my watch. There are also settings "count steps on this phone" in Zenfit and "activity detection" in Google Fit. Should those both be on? One on, the other off? Nothing I've found seems to say for sure.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have ZenFit installed on my Nexus 6P and set to count steps on my phone. Then, I have ZenFit as a connected app in Google Fit, which is also installed on my phone. I have step tracking on the phone turned off in Google Fit.

I see four numbers in the apps. In ZenFit, I can select just the phone and see steps tracked on it. Then I have steps tracked by my ZW3 when I'm wearing it. And finally, there's total steps, which is a combination of phone-only, ZW3-only, and steps tracked by both the ZW3 and the phone when I'm wearing/carrying both. Those are not double-counted.

Then, in Google Fit, I have another number of steps. It's close to the same as the total steps listed in ZenFit. I have absolutely no idea why the numbers aren't idential, since Google Fit isn't tracking steps on its own.

I only pay attention to the number of steps tracked in ZenFit. I use Google Fit for tracking walks and seeing them on the map.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks wynand. One of the problems I was having was the watch had a different count than Zenfit had for the watch, but resyncing apps seems to have fixed that. Another odd thing is that Google Fit had been showing steps reported by Zenfit (it actually said Asus Zenfit next to each entry) but then it stopped doing that since I uninstalled and reinstalled Zenfit, even though both apps showed that they were still connected. I had to disconnect in both apps and reconnect, and now they seem to be working right now.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks wynand. One of the problems I was having was the watch had a different count than Zenfit had for the watch, but resyncing apps seems to have fixed that. Another odd thing is that Google Fit had been showing steps reported by Zenfit (it actually said Asus Zenfit next to each entry) but then it stopped doing that since I uninstalled and reinstalled Zenfit, even though both apps showed that they were still connected. I had to disconnect in both apps and reconnect, and now they seem to be working right now.

Awesome, great to hear!