Cracked Screen - Ideas? (Not ASUS Support)

Jon Draughn

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have owned a Nexus 7 for several months and recently the screen cracked. I did not get the extended warranty from my retailer.

The cracked screen inhibits the touch screen functionality to near uselessness.

ASUS wants to charge $160 + Shipping and handling to fix a broken screen on a $200 device. No way that's going to happen.

Any suggestions on what I should do with it? Are there any outside ASUS sources to fix my issue? Can I sell a broken Nexus 7 (Is there a market?). Throw it away? Hold onto it? Any other ideas would be helpful.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Off hand, I'd say do what Obama is making the health insurance company's do. You know, sell fire insurance after the house is already on fire....

I'm thinking square trade or the like....

jcr2112

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I never replaced my nexus 7 screen but I did replace my galaxy nexus screen by taking to a business that specialized in fixing those types of problems....(ubreakifix)....they didn't have the part but ordered it and fixed it in less than an hour....it was expensive 220...Samsung would have done it for 160 but I would have been without my phone for 2 weeks....

Point of the story is that if Asus is charging you 160 then its probably going to cost more anywhere else....you other option is to find the part yourself online and then do the install yourself....good luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am sure there is a DIY for N7 screen replacement, depending on the severity of the cracked screen and your willingness to replace it yourself

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Replacement wouldn't be a problem if you could actually find a replacement for a reasonable price. Most on ebay aren't complete (LCD only, have to check the fine print) and the rest (not on ebay) cost more than Asus charges for the full repair...

Jon Draughn

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, only the glass touch screen is broken. The display is fine, there are no visual adverse effects at all. Only the touch feature is severely hindered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321