custom ringtone problem

LindaSB12

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got my galaxy s22. I did the transfer from my s10. Everything worked perfectly there and the transfer seemed to go smoothly. My custom ringtones that I created tranferred and were in the ringtone folder. (Yay!) The assigned ringtones were not assigned in my contacts on the new phone so I added some of them and of those I added some work. At least two of them do not work. The ringtones played when I selected them, so I know that's not the problem. But when the phone rings, it goes to the default ringtone and not the assigned one for these contacts. The default is also a custom ringtone I created. I even tried selecting a new ringtone for these contacts, still get the default. Any ideas how to fix it? It doesn't make sense, some work others don't.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When those contacts call, is the phone number that's displayed exactly the same as the one you have saved, or is it slightly different (i.e., including the country code vs not including it)?

LindaSB12

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
B.Ditty:Yes, the numbers are exactly the same, the number on caller id and the number in my contacts.

mustang7757: I can try to putting them in notification folder but if the others ones work in ringtone folder, I'm not sure why these need a different folder.

Thank you both for your responses.

I actually was able to get one of the contacts fixed. It turns out that there were actually two entries under different contact names for the same phone number. When I changed the other entry that I hadn't previously noticed, by adding the unique ringtone, vs the default, the ringtone worked and then I deleted the first entry I was working with. And thinking about it, the two that were not working are a land line and cell number for the same person. Maybe I just need to make one entry and that will solve the problem. I'm going to try that and see what happens. And then if that works, I'll add my other custom ringtones to other contacts and hopefully they will all work again. I'll let you know if joining the two contacts (that are the same person, different phone numbers) work for the ringtone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
B.Ditty:Yes, the numbers are exactly the same, the number on caller id and the number in my contacts.

mustang7757: I can try to putting them in notification folder but if the others ones work in ringtone folder, I'm not sure why these need a different folder.

I actually was able to get one of the contacts fixed. It turns out that there were actually two entries under different contact names for the same phone number. When I changed the other entry that I hadn't previously noticed, by adding the unique ringtone, vs the default, the ringtone worked and then I deleted the first entry I was working with. And thinking about it, the two that were not working are a land line and cell number for the same person. Maybe I just need to make one entry and that will solve the problem. I'm going to try that and see what happens. And then if that works, I'll add my other custom ringtones to other contacts and hopefully they will all work again. I'll let you know if joining the two contacts (that are the same person, different phone numbers) work for the ringtone.
Hello
Ringtone even if you choose custom go as system if you go to setting>sounds>ringtones it's global
So when you put it in notification it sets it as Individually notifications custom notification you can select . It's weird but had that work for me in past .

Try your method see if gets fixed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ah, that's probably the main reason. If you sync contacts with more than one source, you can get a number of duplicates. See if your Contacts has an option to check for duplicates and merge them -- that would probably solve it in one go.

LindaSB12

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The ringtone problem for phone calls seems to be fixed.
I'm having another issue with using a custom ringtone for text notification but I'm still trying to figure out when it's working and when it's not. I'll be back if I can't get it working right.
And Mustang7757, just a note, that particular ringtone is in my notifications folder. NOt sure how it got there. I'm thinking I put it there with my old phone and it transferred.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The ringtone problem for phone calls seems to be fixed.
I'm having another issue with using a custom ringtone for text notification but I'm still trying to figure out when it's working and when it's not. I'll be back if I can't get it working right.
And Mustang7757, just a note, that particular ringtone is in my notifications folder. NOt sure how it got there. I'm thinking I put it there with my old phone and it transferred.
Ok let us know if more help is needed.