CyanogenMod 10.1 Release Candidate now live

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
[NOTE: This forum thread will be updated for every release candidate of CyanogenMod 10.1. The release of a stable build will indicate this thread's last update.]

For those of you that use the famed CyanogenMod line of custom AOSP ROMs, a release candidate of CM10.1 for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989) is now available. The mentioned Release Candidate is a milestone in CM10.1 development, hinting towards more reliable nightlies, M Snapshots, RC builds and perhaps inevitable stable builds. (Release Candidate builds are self-explanatory: these ROMs still have minor issues but overall they are ready to use as a stable daily driver.)

I (obviously) don't represent the CyanogenMod team in any way, shape or form (Besides being a loyal fan to the team's work) This thread is just a little PSA for those "living under a rock". :p

(Performance and operation may vary. Be aware that most Jelly Bean 4.2.x ROMs have the same infamous lag in performance, AOSP-based or official. I recommend creating a backup of your current ROM via TWRP or CWM before flashing in case of FC's, boot loops, etc, basically the same kind of cautious behavior one should partake in while installing custom firmware.)

NOTE: If you want to use a more stable 4.2.2 ROM, I suggest alternatives such as AOKP, ParanoidAndroid (AOSPA), or SlimBean.

***I constantly migrate ROMs (I'm a huge flashaholic BTW) so information from this thread may be already common knowledge, but its main purpose is to provide information regarding CM10.1 RC availability status for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII SGH-T989. Plus, nandroid backups are not instantly created: they require at least two to three minutes to complete, depending on the partitions you choose to backup. If you're gonna act like a smartass just because of this thread, you can PM me and do that there. This thread is meant to be informational, not another portal for hostile banter. ;)**

Experience with RC1: There were several unexpected reboots my phone went through an hour after I've installed CM10.1, but the issue disappeared a little bit afterwards during use and after setting CPU profile to ondemand.

Experience with RC2: Release Candidate 2 is more stable, with the constant soft-reboots no longer an issue. However, this build is far from complete. If you are downloading massive amounts of data, some features may turn on unexpectedly and refuse to turn off. (NFC seems to be glitchy, refusing to turn on or turn off. This issue tends to occur when configuring Quick Settings) This problem is solved with the latest nightly, as it appears so, but I advise staying away from such CM builds unless you're willing to sacrifice device stability for the latest features and fixes. As of yet, all I have to say is that RC2 is stable enough for daily use, though expect a few more bugs to occur.

~If you want to flash this ROM or basically any custom ROM out there for your T-989 but you're a complete noob at it or don't have root yet, skip the attached image for a brief tutorial. Otherwise, ignore this message.~

**UPDATE 1** CyanogenMod 10.1 Release Candidate 2 builds are now live for multiple devices and models, including hercules (T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII SGH-T989). Use the same link right below to download.

**UPDATE 2**Just a notice, but multiple devices have already received Release Candidate 3 builds but hercules (SGH-T989) hasn't received it yet. It may be due to a gradual release or an indicator that it will receive a Stable build in place of yet another RC.

**UPDATE 3** Minor update if you don't mind. It appears the closest we'll ever get to RC3 and RC4 are the two CM10.1 nightlies depicted here: Screenshot_2013-06-01-22-59-25.pngScreenshot_2013-06-01-22-59-39.png

**UPDATE 4** RC5 builds are online and STILL no new RC's builds for the SGH-T989. In fact, all RC builds can no longer be found on get.cm. Replacing the link for CyanogenMod RC's with a get.cm link for all builds available for the SGH-T989.

**UPDATE 5** An RC5 build for Hercules is now available here! :CyanogenMod Downloads

**UPDATE 6** To coincide with this final update, a CM10.1 Stable build for Hercules (SGH-T989) is now available!

Get CyanogenMod ROMs for Hercules here: CyanogenMod Downloads

Google Apps for Jelly Bean 4.2.2: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

Google Apps main directory (contains archived versions for recent and older iterations of android): Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps

uploadfromtaptalk1368051709786.jpg

How to flash CyanogenMod 10.1 or any other ROM in general:

*MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 80% of battery life left prior to flashing. I am not responsible for a bricked phone should the device turn off during the flashing process.*

• Make sure you have root and a custom recovery installed. (ClockWorkMod (Touch or otherwise) and Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) will do. ODIN will also work, but you're more than likely to brick the phone if anything goes horribly wrong)
  • Have the .zip files containing your ROM and the gApps for that ROMs version of Android and remember where it is.
  • Boot into recovery mode. (You can use ROM Manager and boot to recovery from there or hold vol up, vol down, and the power button until screen turns off. If going with the second method, let go of the power button when the screen shuts off and keep the volume rocker pressed until two short vibrations occur and you see the Samsung logo. You should then boot into your custom recovery)
  • Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and wipe dalvik cache as well to avoid any problems. (If upgrading from a previous version of CyanogenMod, just clear both caches. Also, do NOT use darkside cache wipe or superwipe on CWM build later than 5.x.x.x. Doing so may cause bootloops and occasionally a soft brick or hard brick.)
  • Go to install zip from sd card and find the .zip file containing the ROM.
  • When installation completes, find the gApps folder and flash that too.
  • Once both are flashed, click reboot system
  • Wait until it boots up
  • Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question for ya:

Does the Play Store update itself in Cyanogen the way it does on stock ROMs? To clarify, I know GApps are a separate install, I just wanna know if you have to go through any crap after the fact by sideloading new versions.

Thanks!

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's a question for ya:

Does the Play Store update itself in Cyanogen the way it does on stock ROMs? To clarify, I know GApps are a separate install, I just wanna know if you have to go through any crap after the fact by sideloading new versions.

Thanks!

Yes, Google Play and other google apps already included within the gApps zip will automatically update to the latest version, but it may take a little while, especially if the Play Store starts downloading and installing your purchased apps. In fact, all/most ROMs will automatically do this minutes after first boot. Only google apps not already installed upon first boot will need to be downloaded, but you will then download the latest versions already. (Google Search may have broken Google Now voice searching, which will require you to update Google Search manually through the Play Store.)

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
***FINAL UPDATE HERE***

The CyanogenMod blog states that a general rollout of CM10.1 is occurring today. With that I bring you good news: CM10.1 Stable is NOW available for Hercules.

Get it here!: CyanogenMod Downloads
Already got it... installed on both mine and my wife's S2s... I'm a convert. It even did a 10.1.1 update (from 10.1) and it went flawlessly!

No more Touchwiz, no more bloat! My S2 runs JB 4.2.2 faster than the S3 runs T-Mo's/Samsung's version of JB!!

For those wondering, yes, I'm asking myself why I didn't CyanogenMod my phone earlier... like right away...

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Already got it... installed on both mine and my wife's S2s... I'm a convert. It even did a 10.1.1 update (from 10.1) and it went flawlessly!

No more Touchwiz, no more bloat! My S2 runs JB 4.2.2 faster than the S3 runs T-Mo's/Samsung's version of JB!!

For those wondering, yes, I'm asking myself why I didn't CyanogenMod my phone earlier... like right away...

Honestly, I'd still be using CM10.1 if app performance wasn't as slow as it was. Even with the multiple fixes, it still doesn't run as fast as CM10 or any other 4.1 custom ROM.