Cyanogenmod 10 stable is out!

Will you install CM10 on your Skyrocket?

• Total voters

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the others, but the only way I have been able to flash almost anything os related was using goo-manager from google play

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
After a day of use I have noticed a few things:
2. Slight delay when waking the phone up, the buttons at the bottom will light up before screen. Not bad but slightly annoying.

Noticed this as well. Overall, pretty stable as far as I can tell. I don't know if it's necessarily better than the ICS rom I was using before (SkyICS). I wish CRT off was more consistent for me though.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please tell me how to install Cyanogenmod 10? I'm not rooted.

You asked this in a separate thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/226623-how-install-cyanogenmod-10-a.html), so before you dive into this, you might want to know what some of these concepts are, courtesy of AC:
  • Root: A method of unlocking the Android operating system to allow deeper programs deeper access than is allowed out of the box.
  • Bootloader: An internal mode on a phone that helps in the flashing of ROMs and other behind-the scenes actions.
  • ROM: Literally, "Read Only Memory." In Android, it's what you load for a major software update. "Custom ROMs" are just that -- developed outside control of a manufacturer or carrier.
  • Kernel: The basic Linux building block of Android. It's what lets your phone do its thing.
  • Linux: An open source variant of Unix that is used as the underlying system on Android devices.

Must-read, IMO...Jerry's article on rooting: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

[HOWTO] NEWB GUIDES TO: | RESTORE TO STOCK | USE ODIN | INSTALL CWM | ROOT | ics & gb - xda-developers

Edit: another one from xda...this is the route I used: [HOWTO] < THE ULTIMATE NEWB GUIDE > INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT | UNROOT the SKYROCKET - xda-developers

Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727 to Android 4.1 JellyBean with CyanogenMod ( CM ) 10 Alpha Build

There's others, and videos in YouTube to follow too, but if you're really serious about this, do your due dilligence. In other words...read, read, READ! :)

Last edited:

gargoyle_48770

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
i have to say jacques for catching someone asking the same question again after he was given links already, you did a great job of both giving more information and second letting him/her know its on them to do the reading slash watching to figure it out themselves. Most pp especially on xda would just flame the person for not reading themselves, great job :)

BillCosby

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
i have to say jacques for catching someone asking the same question again after he was given links already, you did a great job of both giving more information and second letting him/her know its on them to do the reading slash watching to figure it out themselves. Most pp especially on xda would just flame the person for not reading themselves, great job :)

I asked in this thread first but I didn't think anyone would respond so I made my own.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks Jacques!

Thanks, guys. :)

Learning something, especially something beyond your comfort level is a good thing, IMO. I try to do this same philosophy of giving information on the car forum that I admin at, and my day job in another community. If you get the information served up to you on a silver platter, as it were, then how will you really learn about your device? I don't mind people asking questions over and over again, but I expect them to take some effort and learn along the way.

Edit: BillCosby--have you attempted to root and put in CM10 yet?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Now that it's been a couple of weeks, what are your thoughts on CM10? I like how quick everything is, having Google Now, and goodbye to the bloat. On the other hand, I miss some of the features of TouchWiz: having folders to put my apps in on the Home pages, an energy saver widget, and I haven't figured out how to have pictures and video saved to the microSD card than having it go to the internal SD.

mindmajick

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Now that it's been a couple of weeks, what are your thoughts on CM10? I like how quick everything is, having Google Now, and goodbye to the bloat. On the other hand, I miss some of the features of TouchWiz: having folders to put my apps in on the Home pages, an energy saver widget, and I haven't figured out how to have pictures and video saved to the microSD card than having it go to the internal SD.

Drag an icon on top of another icon. Voila- folder.

What do you mean by an energy saver widget? Might be able to help

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Drag an icon on top of another icon. Voila- folder.

What do you mean by an energy saver widget? Might be able to help

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks about the folders tip! On the energy saver, the stock OS, the feature was under Settings (I don't have my wife's Skyrocket to know what subsection it was under exactly). Since I couldn't find it since flashing, I assumed it to be a TW feature.

On a separate note, I saw a feature where you can switch your phone to 2G mode. Not that I would want mine to run that slow, but has anyone tried it?

gargoyle_48770

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
for pictures and video cm9 can save to sd but not cm10 so far. right now i have been manually moving them to my sd card after i take the pictures, annoying but works. i disable google now most of the time for the simple reason it takes up to much of my battery. i am away from the charger for 13-14 hours a day and can get annoying if my batter dies on me. i do have a powerskin for my phone just don't like how bulky it makes it so only use it when i have to. plus i only go to and from work (8 miles away and don't live in a huge city), don't watch sports for the most part, so google now is useless for me. it is very smooth and i am a flashaholic so i flash the newest updates every three or four days, i like to give the batter alittle time to settle in after flash so i only flash when i have days off. as for touchwiz the only features i miss are the intergration with facebook (have some third party apps that do that like ecobirthday and ecobirhday contacts) but they don't work as well as touchwiz for me. Also i loved file sharing app that let you share files with your computer i use shifta right now but again not as seemless as touchwiz was.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I haven't noticed my battery life getting worse with Google Now. But then again, my connectivity may be a bit better than yours. I've gotten from 18-21 hours with normal usage so far, a little less than what I was getting on stock ICS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej