Darker 'translucent' Lines When I Change Brightness On My Galaxy S7 Edge

A

AC Question

Hi all,

so I have been desperately trying to look EVERYWHERE on the internet about my problem and I have had zero luck, so hopefully someone on here can lead me in the right direction.

At the more towards end of April I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge, I was really excited about it sense I have been an avid iPhone user and I wasn't happy at all w/ my iPhone 6 Plus. (I digress) Everything was working perfectly... until about 2 weeks ago.

As I was using my Facebook app, my phone froze for only 3 seconds (first time the phone even froze at all on me) and then right after that I saw I had these thick, dark, 'translucent' lines across my phone screen and it only works when I have the phone turned on full brightness and they only show up when I'm trying to change the brightness setting.

Side note: I HATE having my phone on full brightness (O_O like holy shet I'm blind yo).

I thought it was odd so I rebooted the phone, and they were still there, I started to panic a bit as it was a new phone but I was way past the 15 return policy.

So basically my question is: Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you have to do? Where you able to fix it yourself or did you have to take it in to your mobile phone carrier's store? Or did you have to talk to Samsung?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you :)

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

so I have been desperately trying to look EVERYWHERE on the internet about my problem and I have had zero luck, so hopefully someone on here can lead me in the right direction.

At the more towards end of April I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge, I was really excited about it sense I have been an avid iPhone user and I wasn't happy at all w/ my iPhone 6 Plus. (I digress) Everything was working perfectly... until about 2 weeks ago.

As I was using my Facebook app, my phone froze for only 3 seconds (first time the phone even froze at all on me) and then right after that I saw I had these thick, dark, 'translucent' lines across my phone screen and it only works when I have the phone turned on full brightness and they only show up when I'm trying to change the brightness setting.

Side note: I HATE having my phone on full brightness (O_O like holy shet I'm blind yo).

I thought it was odd so I rebooted the phone, and they were still there, I started to panic a bit as it was a new phone but I was way past the 15 return policy.

So basically my question is: Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you have to do? Where you able to fix it yourself or did you have to take it in to your mobile phone carrier's store? Or did you have to talk to Samsung?

Can you post a pic of the lines?

Posted via the Android Central App

Tenteki

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm so glad I found this post, I'm having the exact same problem which started several weeks ago. Do the lines get wider as your adjust the brightness as though it's adjusting quadrants of your screen instead of the whole thing at once? I have 3 lines which are evenly spaced effectively quartering my screen. I can still see everything in the lines, it's just as though those areas stayed at a lower brightness level. Interestingly enough, it happened while I was chatting on Facebook messenger with the same freezing.

Hi all,

Tracy Claridge

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi
i have the very same issue. Only had my phone for a few weeks and it just happened today. I have not dropped it or got it wet or anything it just suddenly changed.20160605_182911.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

myspacelor

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
This has just happened to me too.
I was using an app on my phone, not even touching the screen, and the black lines just appeared. The weird thing is as I was getting my coat on ready to go to the shop to get some advice they disappeared! They were gone for around an hour and reappeared. Other than the lines the screen seems to be working perfectly.
I've seen a video on YouTube of someone else's phone doing the exact same thing (not sure if I can link it here but I'll try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjvnL2mckv4) and 7 comments saying they have the same problem.
I would love to get some information on this too as I know when I take it to the shop they will just accuse me of dropping it or water damage.

pdizzle27

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same problem for about a month. I posted on this forum with a description that wasn't as thorough as yours. No one had seemed to have the problem. I now have it full time. I hope I have better luck from your post.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tracy Claridge

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I called samsung today and they told me to contact my provider as had the phone less than a month, which i did straight away and after a lengthy discussion they have agreed to send a new phone. Not happy though, i have only had it a couple of weeks and this will be my third phone. First one had a damaged screen straight out of the box. Doesnt bode well!!
Good luck trying to find a fix with yours.

bratovo

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi All, My S7 Edge just have the same problem since 2 days ago.

If you go outside on daylight, and put on automatic brightness, the line disappear.

I feel it is a range setting done on the sensor which has to be corrected... or the threshold of the sensor has shifted. Or the senso has been damaged (which should not be the case for such a big brand like Samsung who use a high quality kind of materials reflecting the high and expensive price).

Hope Samsung will reply to all of us why this is happening, and give a very acceptable solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_151520.jpg
    IMG_20160609_151520.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20160609_151540.jpg
    IMG_20160609_151540.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 126

bratovo

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
And the interesting thing is that the lines are not captured by a screen shot, hope all of you can confirm.

The screen shot is clean

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Just registered to add my voice to the discussion. New phone, barely a week old, and this issue raised it's ugly head.
Can confirm all the behaviour described above, apart from the references to Facebook - first app I disabled when I got it.

Issue is also still apparent in Safe Mode. Doesn't, however, seem to affect AOD (as far as I can tell).

For completeness sake, would add that my Model No is SM-G935FD (Dual Sim), and that I'm using a Spigen Slim Armour case (might try taking off the latter in case it's an overheating issue).

Last edited:

craz24

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I have he same problem too... I just had my new s7edge 3 weeks ago.

Cristina Serrano

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I have he same problem too... I just had my new s7edge 3 weeks ago.

Sane here. S7 edge and it's just almost a month old and the lines appeared. If I turn auto brightness it disappears. However, it will go back once I turn it off. Anyone already know what else to do to have this disappear completely? My eyes will really be irritated with bright light thats why I usually turn it low. Sucks if Im stuck with autobrightness max.

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey all

No luck so far with mine - hard reset (without app restoration) did not fix - found another couple of online references to the issue, citing a probable hardware fault (with little recourse other than submitting to a hardware technician)...

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge screen started flickering & other screen-related issues (Question 2)

Screen issue with low brightness S7 - horizo… | Samsung Galaxy S7

Personally, am currently in negotiation for a replacement unit.

EDIT: FYI, the most recent comment (Today, 18/06/16) from the second linked thread above cites the cause as a fault in the integrated graphics chip...
Hi it's integrated graphic chip, Samsung fix it and now I don't have the issue

Last edited:

AlfredHoneycut

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
This just happened to me today. I will try to take the phone in to see if the techs have any solution other than turning off brightness? I just got the phone on June 1st and I'm already having issues?!? I was hesitant to switch from my LG G3 and now I don't want to pay for something that isn't my fault.

G671

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Mop Re: Darker 'translucent' Lines When I Change Brightness On My Galaxy S7 Edge

Me, too. Just started today. I'm so angry about this. Just started happening suddenly. What's the deal!?

G671

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just asked Verizon for a new phone. They're 2-day shipping it to me, and then I send this piece of junk back to them after I get it.

I think we're going to be a seeing a lot of these reports popping up now. Buyer beware. Definitely a design flaw somewhere. Especially, if it used to happen with the S6, too.

Aaron Dieffenbacher

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I made an account just for this.
Early this morning, this happened to me. I was browsing Tumblr, (my mistake) and this happened. Now yesterday, I closed out of Skype and noticed a splitsecond of glitchy screen. Blacks, Magentas, Cyans, and Dark Greens. But the "blinds" as my friend dubs it, appeared in an app immediately. This wasn't gradual. I mean, its still in effect on the battery meter while the phone is off and charging.

G671

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I hopped on Verizon support chat, and complained that my screen was shot. They're sending me a new phone (or, "certified like new"), and I'm sending this one back. Should be here tomorrow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173