Question Data smaller on PC

oakston

Apr 24, 2023
Visit site
I copied documents/photos/video etc from my dead phone to computer so I can copy to new phone. It was 40 GB but is only 17 GB when copied the computer. How can this be? Could it be Xperia system files?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How did you copy the files, and where did you see it was 40 GB on the phone?

There are system-protected directories that you can't access when connecting via USB with a computer, and some of those directories can be associated with apps you installed. So a lot of that data could be app data. The files that you can access are typically discrete documents and media files -- not app data files.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

oakston

Apr 24, 2023
Visit site
How did you copy the files, and where did you see it was 40 GB on the phone?

There are system-protected directories that you can't access when connecting via USB with a computer, and some of those directories can be associated with apps you installed. So a lot of that data could be app data. The files that you can access are typically discrete documents and media files -- not app data files.
I can see it my computer when the phone is connected by USB. I can explore the folders of documents photos etc and copy paste them to an external computer disk. Sorry probably should not have said dead phone. It is on but no screen.
How did you copy things over from a" Dead phone" to the computer?

How did you copy things over from a" Dead phone" to the computer?
See my reply to B. Diddy..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There may also be a lot of hidden files/folders on the phone (with the filenames starting with a period), and if your Windows File Explorer is not set to Show Hidden Files, those may not show up when you're exploring (but still contribute to the total storage size). If they're hidden, you couldn't select them, and therefore they wouldn't have been copied over.

Reactions: oakston

oakston

Apr 24, 2023
Visit site
There may also be a lot of hidden files/folders on the phone (with the filenames starting with a period), and if your Windows File Explorer is not set to Show Hidden Files, those may not show up when you're exploring (but still contribute to the total storage size). If they're hidden, you couldn't select them, and therefore they wouldn't have been copied over.
OK thanks
Got my photos and documents anyway.

Reactions: B. Diddy