Data usage

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
If you have a tiered data plan, you should never be throttled. They just charge you for an additional GB at a time if you go over the cap on the plan you paid for.

The only people that should be throttled are those on unlimited plans that are in the mysterious top 5% of all users.

If you are on a tiered plan, and your SR data is incredibly slow, it should be some other reason besides being throttled.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Multiple possibilities, but don't know for sure. Bad radio installed? Bad SIM card? Account isn't properly provisioned for LTE?

All I do know is that if you are on a tiered plan, you should not get throttled. . . ever.

As far as AT&T is concerned, throttling would only make sense on unlimited plans, as they are trying (though they will not admit it and come up with some BS about making sure everyone has quality access to the network, blah, blah, blah...) to make your data use so unbearably slow and useless that you switch to a tiered plan.

In fact, throttling tiered users would fly completely in the face of the point of tiered plans from their perspective, which is to make more money. They would want you to have as fast a data speed as possible in the hopes that you would burn through your allotted monthly amount so that they could start charging you by the GB. They would not want slow you down to nearly unusable speeds so that it would be virtually impossible for you to bump over into the next GB.

I'm not saying that a person on a tiered plan couldn't get throttled, but it is highly likely that it would only be due to a mistake somewhere in their system/account.

JustNiNi

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
You're right, it's not likely at all. But, I'm 98% sure in my case. Ridiculousness on att's part but other than that I've had no problems with them. So far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. I will see if my data speeds up after new billing cycle begins. If it does, I will know I was throttled. If it does not, then there is a malfunction with my phone.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

clindsey

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. I will see if my data speeds up after new billing cycle begins. If it does, I will know I was throttled. If it does not, then there is a malfunction with my phone.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

They are throttling your data. The same exact thing happened to me...went through the same BS, CS had no idea what was going on...They tried everything - reset network, phone, etc Still nothing higher than 150kb down...they even replaced the phone and when that didn't work, they offered me to get a different phone completely. Sim card works fine in a 4g - Non LTE phone. I had them double check my data usage and I was no were close to the top 5% users.

After doing some research, I found out that they throttle your data down to 2G speeds after you use 2gb of data with LTE an the unlimited plan.

Just use the link on the first page of this thread to get your phone back to 4g speeds until the end of your billing cycle.

Reactions: wickedstitch

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link and how to bypass info. While I do not have a Network Mode to change. I changed all the other info as instructed.

I turned the phone off and re-started. I ran speed test and after the bypass I went from .14 mbps to 2.5 mbps. While it's not the 4.6 I was getting before it is a much welcome change!