decryption problem

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi

I have tried to decrypt my SD card on my Samsung device but it would not complete the decryption in full. I then made the fatal error of thinking I could decrypt the SD on a different device (the exact same model with the same encryption password) but that didn't work.

When I insert the SD into the original device I now get the greyed out thumbnails with the exclamation mark, I can check the file details of all of the files (jpegs and movies) and it states the data size of the files but are all greyed out and it also states the SD was decrypted on a different device (device #2) but, as mentioned it has not completed the decryption on either device.

I thought I'd try to use Recuva to recover the files and data file recovery works but, the files are inaccessible - i.e same issue; grey exclamation mark and cant view or play the files.

All help much appreciated - thanks !

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind once you encrypted that microSD card on your Samsung device, this creates an encryption key that a) ties that specific card to that specific phone and b) that encryption key is unique and resides only within that specific phone.

So all the data that you stored on that card would only be fully accessible when using that particular Samsung device. That's a fundamental security aspect, Once you then tried using a different phone to encrypt/decrypt that card, it more than likely screwed up the partition table or file system on that card's storage media since its apparently not readable any longer on any device. If that is the case, there's a good chance there is no restorable data on the card, You're not supposed to be able to just enable/disable encryption the way you tried to.
If you want to re-use that card, try reformatting from scratch again, that should wipe it clean and then you either use it as is or try encrypting it again (before starting to write data to it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel