Default app permissions ~ galaxy note edge running marshmallow 6.01

Rajdeep_442

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge [SM-N915G] running Marshmallow 6.01. I have recently tampered with the original permissions accorded to my apps and when I wanted to revert, I do not recollect which apps needed which specific permissions when they were downloaded or as in stock apps. I am very keen to revert back and grant permissions to my apps as they were before messing my phone up.
I know the easiest way out is to reset the Phone but this seems very cumbersome.Alternately, what I could possible do is to reinstall my [ downloaded ] apps once again after uninstalling them. but the question remains for the stock apps which cannot be uninstalled from the phone. Can anybody help me by letting me know what are the ' default permissions ' for the following Stock apps
~ Camera
~ Clock
~ Contacts
~ Email
~ Galaxy Apps
~ Gallery
~ Google App
~ Google Play Services
~ Google Play Stores
~ Internet
~ Messages
~ Music
~ S Note
~ S Planner
~ Samsung Push Service
~ Scrapbook
~ Video

I would be very grateful for any help on this matter. I would indeed appreciate if anybody having a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge running Marshmallow 6.01 would be kind enough to look through his set of permissions [ for the above apps ] and post them here.Needless to mention ~ provided of course they are ' default permissions '

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already tried the Reset All App Preferences option? It's usually in the App Manager, when you tap More.

Rajdeep_442

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. When I went to App settings > more it says ...
This will reset all your preferences for :
~
~
~
Any permission restrictions
Your existing App data will not be lost.

CANCEL RESET APPS

Thank you so much for telling me this because I didn't notice it. Now if I " RESET APPS " will I revert back to the default app permissions ? I haven't ventured so far. I just wanted to hear from you before I take the plunge.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually not sure what it does to app permissions. What I do know is that it will clear all app defaults (i.e., which apps are set as default to complete certain actions), so that the next time you choose one of those kinds of actions, the device will prompt you to choose a new default. It will also re-enable any disabled app.

It may also be that the default for all app permissions is to be off. Typically, when you install a new app in Marshmallow, the app will prompt you to grant permissions as they come up. So resetting all app preferences may just turn all permissions off, and the next time you open the app, it will prompt you to grant individual permissions as needed. Sorry that I'm just speculating here, but I haven't done this myself.

Rajdeep_442

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually not sure what it does to app permissions. What I do know is that it will clear all app defaults (i.e., which apps are set as default to complete certain actions), so that the next time you choose one of those kinds of actions, the device will prompt you to choose a new default. It will also re-enable any disabled app.

It may also be that the default for all app permissions is to be off. Typically, when you install a new app in Marshmallow, the app will prompt you to grant permissions as they come up. So resetting all app preferences may just turn all permissions off, and the next time you open the app, it will prompt you to grant individual permissions as needed. Sorry that I'm just speculating here, but I haven't done this myself.

Thanks again for your prompt reply. I " Reset App Preferences " and this is what happened.
~ Three Apps viz. Scrapbook and S Note and Gallery refused to open till I granted them Storage permissions. For Whats app there were no permissions so I granted it only Contacts permission. For the rest of my apps there were already some permissions granted ~ which I presume are default or atleast enough to make them work [ So far there have been no complaints as such ].
On googling I discovered that Whats App is one app which asks for hordes of permissions and I am not very clear how these permissions help Whats App to deliver what it is intended to do. Nonetheless, I have only given it Contacts permission and it seems to be fine.If it asks me for further permissions, I will decide about it.
This exercise has really been useful, in that it has helped me to understand how permissions work on Marshmallow. A very big thank you for your suggestion on Resetting App Preferences.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc