Degrade OS version of S9 edge from 8.0 to 6.0

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Please advise me how should I degrade the OS of the S9 edge I use from OS version 8.0 to 6.0.

Thanks,
Venuka

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
S9 Edge? No such thing exists. Perhaps you're talking about the S7 edge, or the S9+?

Regardless, why all the way back to 6.0? Why not Nougat instead?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that S6 was written for the S9. You can't flash an earlier version than exists. (Each version of Android has to be written, by the manufacturer, Samsung, in this case, to work on each model phone.) The S9 was released with 8.0, so nothing earlier was probably ever written for it. Samsung is known as about the worst manufacturer when it comes to allowing users to get into the insides of the phone's software.

You're free to learn enough to take a 6.0 version of AOSP and make it work on the S9, though. Or even do it with 8,0, if you want to keep the good parts of 8 but not have the bad parts of Samsung.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am aware that S9 was launched with OD 8.0 by default. BUt for my debugging purpose using charles we need the OS with 6.0. That is what I need for now. Any help?

Unfortunately, you'll need a device that will run 6.0. There are a couple factors involved here -

Samsung never released 6.0 for the S9 (as you are aware)
Qualcomm never released Android 6.0 versions of the "drivers" for the chips that run the S9, because the chip didn't even exist in the Android 6.0 days.

As @Rukbat noted above, the device manufacturer has to release the OS for that device in order for it to work. If you're ambitious you could TRY a "roll your own" as people on XDA do and try to create a version of 6.0 with the drivers for the S9 components but it's unlikely to work unless you're so ambitious as to write your own driver to support the older OS.