Deleted emails reappear

hmbecker3

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Have you resolved your problem? I had the same issue with deleted emails reappearing. When I first got the phone I let it set up my email account automatically and it picked the imap setting. I re-set it up manually and picked the pop setting. It then gave me the option to delete emails from the server when I deleted it from my phone's in box. That solved the problem.

dovly

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Have you resolved your problem? I had the same issue with deleted emails reappearing. When I first got the phone I let it set up my email account automatically and it picked the imap setting. I re-set it up manually and picked the pop setting. It then gave me the option to delete emails from the server when I deleted it from my phone's in box. That solved the problem.

Thanks, your post was a great help
. No more repeated emails.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillymuscles

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar issue, but not identical to the others listed. I have an AT&T Galaxy S5. I use the gmail app rather than the samsung native email application (so I dont have the same messages going to 2 different programs on the same phone) I also have thunderbird on my laptop set to Not delete messages from Server. My problem is, when my computer is off, and I am reading my emails on the phone all night, when I try to access them from thunderbird the next day they are nowhere to be found. I have tried switching the settings around a couple times, but it only seems to happen if the computer is off for a while. If I have thunderbird closed, read on email on my phone via the gmail app, then open thunderbird, they are there. If I have the computer off, read emails on my gmail app at 10pm, then log into my computer 12 hours later, they are not there.

CTW_949

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The ‘Delete from Server’ is found at the bottom of ‘Incoming Settings’. And, Kelly Burby mentioned a key: mark an email as Deleted IN the INBOX then do a ‘Refresh’. (Checkbox deletes doesn’t appear to synch to the server.)
...good luck

Susan Lazzaro

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. Here's the fix. You have your email accounts entered in your S5 as IMAP. Go to Settings, EMAIL, Accounts. Delete the account. Re-enter the account with User Name and Password, and press MANUAL and POP3. On the next window, scroll to the bottom and toggle the Delete to Server from NEVER to DELETE TO SERVER. Continue the process with your other settings and you're in business.

That may work but now you are changing an IMAP account to a POP3 account. Why would you need to do this? I want my accounts to be IMAP. Is there a better (FREE) mail app that handles more than 5 accounts that is better than the preinstalled version from the S5?

Susan Lazzaro

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The ‘Delete from Server’ is found at the bottom of ‘Incoming Settings’. And, Kelly Burby mentioned a key: mark an email as Deleted IN the INBOX then do a ‘Refresh’. (Checkbox deletes doesn’t appear to synch to the server.)
...good luck

I still DO NOT see Delete from server on the bottom of incoming settings on the S5

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The primary issue seems to be fixed with the latest Verizon update from a couple days ago. Finally.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5

CathyHBH

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
This issue was frustrating me too but just yesterday I found the solution! Instead of deleting the email with the checkbox, swipe the email you want to delete (from left to right) and the email will be gone, and won't return!

rmack1

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
What happens to emails on Server? I have multiple devices and PC's downloading same emails. If I set "Delete from Server" on phone and access emails first on the phone before downloading emails to PC's, will emails actually delete from server and be unavailable to any device that attempts to synch later?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What happens to emails on Server? I have multiple devices and PC's downloading same emails. If I set "Delete from Server" on phone and access emails first on the phone before downloading emails to PC's, will emails actually delete from server and be unavailable to any device that attempts to synch later?

If the email is truly deleted from the server, it will be gone regardless of what device you try and read it from.

PC, phone, etc... once the server deletes it, it is gone to the trash can.
If you have access to the Trash folder/can, you can retrieve it back from there.

been there, done it, especially with stuff that Yahoo decided was SPAM and it was not.

Last edited:

pattinlynn

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! I am also having this very very frustrating problem with my emails. I have read through all these replies and have NO IDEA what they are talking about deleting accounts, IMAP, POP3, etc. I have even tried swiping left to delete instead of checking the boxes and I STILL get all my emails back. Can someone please explain how to fix this? Explain it like you are talking to a 2 year old because I don't understand any of the replies here! THANK YOU!!!

jck0076

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
pattinlynn, I had to work through a similar issue and I had to change from POP3 to IMAP which fixed the issue. I can't post a link here, but search "Gmail Get Started with IMAP and POP3" and you'll find pretty clear information. In short, if you are accessing your email from different devices you are better off with IMAP. IMAP and POP3 are simply different ways to get to your mail. IMAP takes you to the original from any device and changes made on any of them will show up on all of them. POP3 delivers a copy and changes you make to the copy may not go back to the original smoothly. If you delete on your phone, it may not change the original which will be on the gmail server as unread and undeleted. The next time your mail synchronizes it will come back as an unread original.

With the instructions you will find if you search what I suggested, you want to access gmail and check as directed whether your account is enabled for POP3 or IMAP. If it is set for IMAP, you may have a different problem that I cannot help with. However, it might be worth a try to go to your mail settings on your phone, delete your gmail account and then reinstall it using the option to do so manually and following the settings in the directions I suggested you search for. If it is set for POP3, you will want to clear out your email or make copies of the mail you want to save. When that's done, follow the instructions to change your settings on the web to IMAP. Once done, you will want to go to your mail settings on your phone and delete your gmail account. Then select add an account and reenter your gmail username and password. Do not select new. If you have an option to set up manually choose that and enter the information as shown in the instructions.

jck0076

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Same thing for folks with Comcast problems. However, unlike Gmail, you can transfer to IMAP but I don't see a way to go back with Comcast. However, while it says it may take 24 hours, it happened for me instantly. Also everything transferred over (folders and saved mail) with no issues.

To move Comcast to IMAP, search "imap registration xfinity connect webmail" on your browser.

An added benefit for me from the switch is that when set up as POP3, I could not get to all my folders from my other devices and now I can. This is a real benefit with sent mail where I sent the original message from my phone and now want to retrieve and forward it from another device.

With Comcast, my S5 defaulted to setting it up as a POP3 so I had to use the manual option. The good news is that when you select IMAP and SSL the ports and everything filled out correctly by default. (A friend did the switch on Comcast and when deleted and set up again on his phone it did default to IMAP when he did not select manual, so it might be worth a try.)

As a heads up, if you are going to IMAP, you should be aware that if you delete a couple of emails at a time from your phone it should work seamlessly. If you decide to do a big clean up and delete 40 or 50 at a time, there may still be a delay that will result in their reappearing if you do a sync before it has all processed. Best to do the big cleanup from webmail.

Haven't posted enough here to be able to add links to posts.

Last edited:

ladyfsgf

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I tried this but scrolling down never found the option to "the Delete to Server from NEVER to DELETE TO SERVER. Continue the process with your other settings and you're in business. " on my S5. I have outlook mail on laptop and S5-delete email on my S5 and it deletes those emails on my laptop (which I don't want deleted on my laptop) also the S5 reloads the emails deleted even from previous day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582