Deleting photos from read-only Images file

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the General News forum to the General Help forum.

Are you talking about some system-level directory called /Images? Where do you see that?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
When I click on the "Files" app I get a listing that starts with "Recent, Audio, Images, Video". They are all "read-only" folders. My images folder had 175 photos in it. I can delete them one at a time but I can't delete all. Audio and Video are empty. Recent has 171 files that are a mix of photos and Google Doc documents. Below those four are Directories for "My Files" and "My Drive".

And thanks for directing me to the "Help" forum. I've marked it on my favorites.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, you're talking about the Chrome OS Files app -- I thought you were talking about a phone or tablet.

My understanding is that the Recent categories are groupings from your various file directories for convenient access -- but you don't delete the images there. You need to figure out which directory the actual files are in and go there. Right-click the image and then select Go to File Location, and that will bring you to the directory where you can delete it.

I moved this to the Chromebooks forum for more specific traffic.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, I have the same file app on my Huawei P40 pro and my Chromebook. At least they appear to be the same. Both my phone and my chromebook have multiple file apps that are all different.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL, sorry that I've been moving your thread around so much!:p So you're actually talking about your P40 Pro in this situation? I guess it's not surprising, since many file manager apps also try to group certain types of files together for user convenience -- but in my opinion, that can also lead to more confusion for the user. When I use one of those kinds of file managers, I always choose the "Explore" option so that it works like a conventional file explorer.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
LOL, sorry that I've been moving your thread around so much!:p So you're actually talking about your P40 Pro in this situation? I guess it's not surprising, since many file manager apps also try to group certain types of files together for user convenience -- but in my opinion, that can also lead to more confusion for the user. When I use one of those kinds of file managers, I always choose the "Explore" option so that it works like a conventional file explorer.

Actually, it's the p40 pro and the Asus Spin 713.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz