Device files no longer loading, unable to take new ones

marinetact

Aug 28, 2022
Visit site
I use an oldish ZTE K88 running Android 7.1.1. I'm due for an upgrade, but in the meantime I was just getting by with what I had. I'm not too tech savvy, so I apologize in advance.

Just recently, I opened my Gallery app to check something after a download, and the screen was completely black, as if it was completely frozen on start. I closed and reopened it a few times, cleared cache and data, and even restarted a few times, but no dice. Google Photos does not load them either, only showing blank thumbnails, (I was able to confirm that almost all of them were backed up and viewable on another device, however.)
On apps that I usually share pictures on, when I click to view my available pictures, the thumbnails appear entirely blank, and in some apps, if I try to save a new image, it freezes entirely.
When I open File Manager, or look at my Chrome downloads, the thumbnails of the images are visible, but when I click them it crashes instead of receiving the option to view it on another app. I cannot even take screenshots or new pictures either, without getting an error.

I have no clue how this started, or how to fix it, just that it started after I had fussed around with an app update. The gist of that is that a social app I had downloaded from Google Play had a new update that made it difficult to use, and so I tried downgrading to an APK of an older version. It was when I downloaded that, the issue began.
I had done research on the site in question, confirming its safety, and found with a VirusTotal scan that the app itself was safe as well. None of my other apps had any issues, either, and before all this, I usually never downloaded anything other than images.

I'm out of luck. What do I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

marinetact

Aug 28, 2022
Visit site
I went and registered. I don't have an SD card, so everything is going into internal storage, which I know is not full yet. I went and checked further to see if I could find a cause, it turns out I can download images, but when I do so, chrome crashes immediately after, so nothing changes aside from that. When I opened the Downloads app, it crashed immediately, telling me that "android.process.media has stopped." Is that what's causing the issue?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I went and registered. I don't have an SD card, so everything is going into internal storage, which I know is not full yet. I went and checked further to see if I could find a cause, it turns out I can download images, but when I do so, chrome crashes immediately after, so nothing changes aside from that. When I opened the Downloads app, it crashed immediately, telling me that "android.process.media has stopped." Is that what's causing the issue?
Welcome to AC!
Try clearing cache then force stop your files manger app if still happens then clear its data and force stop any important things back up before clear data

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try also clearing the app cache/data for the Download Manager system app. To find it, go to Settings>Apps​ then select the option to Show System Apps.

I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

marinetact

Aug 28, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Try clearing cache then force stop your files manger app if still happens then clear its data and force stop any important things back up before clear data

While I have my files backed up, is this safe to do?

Try also clearing the app cache/data for the Download Manager system app. To find it, go to Settings>Apps​ then select the option to Show System Apps.

I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

I can't find anything like that even with system apps visible. Will the Downloads app be close enough to this?

I apologize for the paranoia, I'm afraid of accidentally getting something wrong here, so I hope it's fine if I ask for some clarity

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
While I have my files backed up, is this safe to do?

I can't find anything like that even with system apps visible. Will the Downloads app be close enough to this?

I apologize for the paranoia, I'm afraid of accidentally getting something wrong here, so I hope it's fine if I ask for some clarity
Yeah it's safe if everything back up

marinetact

Aug 28, 2022
Visit site
At the moment, taking a screenshot only gives me an error that it couldn't save the screenshot, so the most I can do now is describe it. Above and below the Downloads app is "Dolby Digital Plus" and (Google) Drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781