Did I make the right choice?

ttens

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I have had an HTC Incredible 2 for a few years and loved it. Dropped it and cracked my screen:(. I was due for an upgrade and was going to wait for the HTC Incredible 4G LTE. But, I talked to the guy in the store (dealt with him for years and trust him). I am now a new owner of the Razr Maxx.

This morning I'm wondering if I made the right choice in not holding out for the HTC Incredible 4G LTE. Any thoughts that will either make me feel better or turn in my phone and try to fight the restocking fee? :)

Thanks!

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
id say you made the right choice. no one else can come close to the battery on this thing. coupled with Smart Actions and soon to be ICS i think you've got the phone that will keep you happy (for at least two years ;)

Reactions: ttens

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If you were waiting for the Incredible 4G, why not get the Rezound? It's better in every single aspect, and it has the best screen of all smartphones.
If not, then the Maxx is a solid choice. I recently switched over from a Rezound. Having a battery last like this feels very liberating, and I really like the form factor of this device.

4TTube

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts that will either make me feel better or turn in my phone and try to fight the restocking fee?

Sure! Just read the posts of all the satisfied MAXX owners on here.
When ever you buy the latest and greatest of anything, there will ALWAYS be something coming along to replace it.
Stop worrying, get some rest and enjoy your new phone.:)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It all depends.....do you need a MOBILE phone, or a landline? If you want a really fancy tethered landline, go with the Rezound, GNex, or any other phone out there. If you want a mobile phone, get the Maxx.

The Maxx is THE ONLY device on the market right now, where you can literally do whatever the heck you want to do (widgets, social networking pushes constantly, live wallpapers, etc....) without having to fear a dead battery by lunch time. Enjoy the heck out of your new mobile device, and relish the fact that you don't have to keep a charger on you at all times like our less fortunate friends.

ttens

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
bradenfontaine - The battery was a huge deciding factor for me! Although, I am slightly concerned because it's down to 70% after only a few hours and not a ton of use. Does it take some time to stay hearty?

Dovahkiin - As for the Rezound, to be honest, I looked at so many phones, I can't recall why I didn't choose that. But, you recently switched so I'm guessing you like this better :)

4TTube - LOL! I thought about it when I posted here - I'm posting to a forum that is probably filled with fans :) Guess I was hoping for the reassurance. And, yes, there is always something later and greater coming along and I usually don't worry about it. Not sure why I'm being so flightly on this.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's a LOT bigger than I'm used to and the home button and menu button are swapped from my last phone which keeps messing me up! The only other concern I have is the camera and whether it will work out ok. I don't think it's much (if any) different than my Incredible 2.

Now I'm starting to look at cases/screen protectors (oh yes, and get some work done :).

Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing more!

ttens

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
LegalAmerican - Laughing here! The widgets are something I need to get used to. I can't find ones that I like yet like I had on my Incredible. I'm sure it will take some time. I'm looking for a small clock widget (2x1), and a messaging app (not sure I even need that anymore).

Any widget recommendations are welcome!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Dovahkiin - As for the Rezound, to be honest, I looked at so many phones, I can't recall why I didn't choose that. But, you recently switched so I'm guessing you like this better :)

Honestly, it depends on what your wants and needs are, but I do enjoy both phones very much. I still have the Rezound hanging around on my family plan. At the end of the day, I needed a phone that could take whatever I threw at it, and the Maxx is that phone. I understand there are extended batteries out there, but I prefer to not carry a brick in my pocket. Despite the pentile, I do like the super amoled screen, and our version of ICS is gonna be 100x better than what's on the horizon for HTC, LG, and Samsung phones.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The battery was a huge deciding factor for me! Although, I am slightly concerned because it's down to 70% after only a few hours and not a ton of use. Does it take some time to stay hearty?

best thing ive read/heard/done is charge it up fully, run it until it hits i think 15% and the warning pops up, and then charge it up fully.

as for regular charging habits:

- when you reach a full charge, remove it from the charger. most people just leave it on the charger all night while they are sleeping. i don't, and i don't recommend it.

- top it off as often as you can, short (15 minute) charging cycles actually are less stress on the battery.

- keep it cool, if you notice it is heating up, try to limit what you are doing at the time, heat is a killer of batteries.

check out this site, it is a lot to read and maybe a little technical, but ive been doing what they preach and couldnt be happier!

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
DInc2 was a really good phone but only a 1500mah battery. I feel the only reason to wait would be if you absolutely had to have a smaller form factor with its 4" screen. Otherwise everyone on here is correct in stating you'll be really satisfied with the Maxx. Yes you came to a Maxx forum and can assume none of us would have something bad to say but that's not true. We shouldn't give you the impression that any device is perfect because it's not but if there were any true haters on here you'd see them too. The Nexus forums are the best example of that. Many, not all but many, of their posts are about problems with a few defenders sprinkled in fighting the haters. And those defenders are mostly people who have rooted and rom'd it to death just to make it perform decently. That's all well and good because it is a developers phone but I'm not one and I just really love how reliable my Maxx is compared to the previous Samsung I had. Going to the coast this weekend and plan on using it for streaming music on the beach and playing Netflix movies on the TV a night, all while not really worrying about my battery. My vote is keep it or hold off for its big brother the Maxx HD. Good luck with your decision.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LegalAmerican - Laughing here! The widgets are something I need to get used to. I can't find ones that I like yet like I had on my Incredible. I'm sure it will take some time. I'm looking for a small clock widget (2x1), and a messaging app (not sure I even need that anymore).

I use Tweetcaster Pro widget for my twitter. I love it. I also use Circle Battery on my home screen so that I can see my battery level in 1% increments. It doesn't use up much of the battery to have either. I also love digiclock widget to place the time prominently on my main homescreen at the top. I have an Android guy as my wallpaper, and so having the clock and the circle battery in green looks sharp as it matched the green Android perfectly. I also use the myverizon data widget, and poweramp for my music. That's about it, as I prefer a very simple, uncluttered homescreen. Which is why I went with Android over Apple in the first place.

ttens

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I use Tweetcaster Pro widget for my twitter. I love it. I also use Circle Battery on my home screen so that I can see my battery level in 1% increments. It doesn't use up much of the battery to have either. I also love digiclock widget to place the time prominently on my main homescreen at the top. I have an Android guy as my wallpaper, and so having the clock and the circle battery in green looks sharp as it matched the green Android perfectly. I also use the myverizon data widget, and poweramp for my music. That's about it, as I prefer a very simple, uncluttered homescreen. Which is why I went with Android over Apple in the first place.

Thanks! Those are great widgets!

I'm hoping I didn't get a bad phone as my battery is at less than 50% - almost 40% and I haven't used it a ridiculous amount. EEK. But, you all made me feel much better and I'm starting to like it :)

Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
bradenfontaine - The battery was a huge deciding factor for me! Although, I am slightly concerned because it's down to 70% after only a few hours and not a ton of use. Does it take some time to stay hearty?

I'm on my second full day of having the Maxx and mine has gone down faster than I expected (still MUCH better than my Droid X though), so I'm thinking to give it a little time to get the full power of the battery. At least that's what I'm hoping will happen. I also checked the apps that were running and some ones that I never even opened were running (blockbuster, usa today), so I closed though. We'll see if it helps. I've heard turning off wifi also helps too (I usually leave mine off anyway).

Enjoy the Maxx! My husband has a Rezound and while he loves it, I decided for the Maxx because I wanted something that lasted from when I left from work and until I got home w/o charging if I didn't have to. My husband has the extended battery but it's too bulky for my taste, the Maxx feels much better in my small hands. :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Those are great widgets!

I'm hoping I didn't get a bad phone as my battery is at less than 50% - almost 40% and I haven't used it a ridiculous amount. EEK. But, you all made me feel much better and I'm starting to like it :)

My battery never seemed to be too fantastic either. I would still charge it every night because days where I used it constantly, it would be at about 20% after one day. But when I don't use it as much, it is usually hovering around 40-50%. I always thought this was less than what I expected, but then I thought about it this way: If I had used the same widgets, and settings on my other smartphones as I use on this one, they would be dead as a door nail by 11 a.m. So in comparison to that, this phone is awesome.

I leave my brightness on auto, I use the beforementioned widgets, I have left my twitter settings so that it updates the notifications hourly when before I set it to once in 24 hrs. There's so many things I do differently because I own a Maxx now, and although the battery sometimes goes quick, I know that it's still incredible compared to past experiences. Best of luck with yours!

CatHerd

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The RAZR MAXX is my first smartphone. I did my homework first, and the #1 universal complaint, including iPhones, seemed to be battery life. I paid the extra $100 for the MAXX just to avoid obsessing over battery management - the 16 GB SD card was just a perk.

Not a penny was wasted. After the first charge, I used the phone for 3 days and still had 60%. Now I use the HD Dock/Charger/Night Stand thing, so the phone turns into an alarm clock (and also happens to charge every night).

I have never once had to THINK about battery conservation, and I've NEVER bothered to turn of ANY app running in the background. I have used the phone for 2-3 months, and have only turned the phone to OFF about 4 times - EVER.

So far, I haven't suffered from behavioral problems either. This phone has been rock solid. All the suffering I have read about on many forums has passed me by :)

No micromanagement is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

As of today, if Apple launched the iPhone 5 (they haven't have they?) I wouldn't trade for it straight across.

When choosing a product of any kind, I seem to learn more of the potential dark sides by reading user comments than I ever would from "reviews" (which have other merits).

I am SO glad I chose this phone!

P.S. If you haven't run down to 5% battery before the day was over, do like me and recognize that you have better things to worry about...you made a good choice!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Weather & Toggle Widgets is really good. I have over 30 different Clock Skins of which some are HTC looking. Your old HTC sense couldn't do that:) It takes some playing with to download the various Weather and Clock Skins and the amimated Add-on's, but once you do, you'll never miss HTC stuff because it's all there. Animated Weather and all. I have mine set up to see the rain and windsheild wiper and all, just like the Tbolt I tried.

Don't miss HTC at all with Go Launcher EX, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...uncherex&feature=search_result&token=vbKG_KxH

+ Weather and toggle widgets. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...YXBwcy53aWRnZXQud2VhdGhlcjMiXQ&token=bWe9GnxB..

Third favorite app is aCalendar. Nicely done. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...calendar&feature=search_result&token=Q0uxiBhx

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want a long lasting battery, stick with the Maxx.

If you want a phone that has next gen hardware in every other aspect, you should have waited (at least for the S3).

Some people don't need anything else but 4G and a long lasting battery (like my gf), so you have to decide what you want in a phone.

ttens

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
WOW - not sure how you got the battery to do that! I was told that the battery life will improve over the first week. I ran it down to 4% by about 8 pm and am charging it now. I'm hoping it will improve. I had great battery life with my DINC2 with extended battery but that was a smaller battery than this!

The RAZR MAXX is my first smartphone. I did my homework first, and the #1 universal complaint, including iPhones, seemed to be battery life. I paid the extra $100 for the MAXX just to avoid obsessing over battery management - the 16 GB SD card was just a perk.

Not a penny was wasted. After the first charge, I used the phone for 3 days and still had 60%. Now I use the HD Dock/Charger/Night Stand thing, so the phone turns into an alarm clock (and also happens to charge every night).

I have never once had to THINK about battery conservation, and I've NEVER bothered to turn of ANY app running in the background. I have used the phone for 2-3 months, and have only turned the phone to OFF about 4 times - EVER.

So far, I haven't suffered from behavioral problems either. This phone has been rock solid. All the suffering I have read about on many forums has passed me by :)

No micromanagement is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

As of today, if Apple launched the iPhone 5 (they haven't have they?) I wouldn't trade for it straight across.

When choosing a product of any kind, I seem to learn more of the potential dark sides by reading user comments than I ever would from "reviews" (which have other merits).

I am SO glad I chose this phone!

P.S. If you haven't run down to 5% battery before the day was over, do like me and recognize that you have better things to worry about...you made a good choice!

HadesRazR

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Ive have my maxx for 3 days now and am still unimpressed. i had the Galaxy fasinate when it was first released and have loved it every day since. i have been putting off my upgrade since last november waiting for something to come out that i just had to have. i thought the
Galaxy S III was going to be it. sadly i lost my phone in a shredder at work last week and was forced to get something now. the Maxx looked good, and the sales person kept pushing how great the battery life is so i got it. my biggest gripes so far are that i dont know how to fully use it. its like knowing windows XP like the back of your hand then jumping on to Vista. im praying once i figure out how to toggle simple functions on and off and i get the camera to take a decent picture ill be much happier!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ive have my maxx for 3 days now and am still unimpressed. i had the Galaxy fasinate when it was first released and have loved it every day since. i have been putting off my upgrade since last november waiting for something to come out that i just had to have. i thought the
Galaxy S III was going to be it. sadly i lost my phone in a shredder at work last week and was forced to get something now. the Maxx looked good, and the sales person kept pushing how great the battery life is so i got it. my biggest gripes so far are that i dont know how to fully use it. its like knowing windows XP like the back of your hand then jumping on to Vista. im praying once i figure out how to toggle simple functions on and off and i get the camera to take a decent picture ill be much happier!

Holy office mishaps, Batman! How in the world did you lose your phone in a shredder?

Too bad you're not enjoying your Maxx as much as many of us are--I would say that it isn't entirely fair to judge the phone because you don't know how to fully use it. If you haven't already done so, I suggest giving the actual manual a good readthrough. These days, so many people just plunge into using a new piece of tech without actually learning how to use it, so it's no wonder there's frustration!

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/mot_droid_maxx/razr_maxx_manual.pdf

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
addrom