Discontent after switching from Windows Phone.

Turak Katase

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm a recent return to Android after spending the last 2.5 years on Windows Phone. However, I'm not very content after switching. There are a number of items that worked much better on Windows that I'd like to find out if it is something that can be done with Android with apps, or if I'm just out of luck. While Android undeniable has an app advantage, I've never been a huge app user, even when I had my Droid X and Galaxy S3.

1. Stability: I have a relatively small number of apps installed on my S6 at this point. However, I've not been impressed with the devices stability. Several times a week, I've had something crash on me, ranging from a random app, to the launcher (using Action Launcher 3), to Google Now, to the system lock screen. I didn't have such stability issues on my Windows phones. I vaguely remembered stability issues from when I was on Android in the past, but it's been too long to really remember. These issues aren't enough to make me switch, but they are a noticeable nuisance. Is there any recommendations on how I can improve things?

2. Performance: Performance will also randomly drop on my phone, then come back after a few seconds. This performance drop will occur at various times, from opening up the list of apps currently running (the animation isn't very smooth), to scrolling a web page. I've not done much gaming on the phone, but that performance seems to be fine, it seems to be more basic UI hiccups. Anyone else noticing this? Is this an Android thing, isolated to the S6, or something else.

3. Google Now: Google Now can do some things that Cortana couldn't, but I'm finding I miss several features from Cortana. The biggest thing that isn't in Google Now that was in Cortana was that when I got a text message while in the car, Cortana would automatically connect start my hands free unit to prompt me if I wanted to hear the text or ignore it. I could then listen and reply to the text via voice. I've not seen Google Now having any ability like that. Also, the reminder functionality doesn't seem to actually remind me. At the appointed time, I'll get a card for my reminder, but there will be now audible or vibration alert. I have tried this with notifications turned on and off (I prefer them off for non-urgent items). Any suggestions on these two issues?

4. Keyboard: When switching from Windows, the last thing I expected to miss was the keyboard. I used the Word Flow input method (aka Swype), and had very high accuracy with it. And when it got the incorrect option, it was virtually always one of the options. I've not had such luck on Android. I ditched the Samsung keyboard almost immediately (I had terrible accuracy on it). I've tried the Google Keyboard, spent the last three weeks on SwiftKey (yes, I let it scan my emails, ect) and also tried Swype. While SwiftKey was the best for me, I've not been overly impressed. Any keyboard recommendations (especially from former Windows Phone 8.1 users)?

Any tips on solving some of these issues?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent return to Android after spending the last 2.5 years on Windows Phone. However, I'm not very content after switching. There are a number of items that worked much better on Windows that I'd like to find out if it is something that can be done with Android with apps, or if I'm just out of luck. While Android undeniable has an app advantage, I've never been a huge app user, even when I had my Droid X and Galaxy S3.

1. Stability: I have a relatively small number of apps installed on my S6 at this point. However, I've not been impressed with the devices stability. Several times a week, I've had something crash on me, ranging from a random app, to the launcher (using Action Launcher 3), to Google Now, to the system lock screen. I didn't have such stability issues on my Windows phones. I vaguely remembered stability issues from when I was on Android in the past, but it's been too long to really remember. These issues aren't enough to make me switch, but they are a noticeable nuisance. Is there any recommendations on how I can improve things?

2. Performance: Performance will also randomly drop on my phone, then come back after a few seconds. This performance drop will occur at various times, from opening up the list of apps currently running (the animation isn't very smooth), to scrolling a web page. I've not done much gaming on the phone, but that performance seems to be fine, it seems to be more basic UI hiccups. Anyone else noticing this? Is this an Android thing, isolated to the S6, or something else.

3. Google Now: Google Now can do some things that Cortana couldn't, but I'm finding I miss several features from Cortana. The biggest thing that isn't in Google Now that was in Cortana was that when I got a text message while in the car, Cortana would automatically connect start my hands free unit to prompt me if I wanted to hear the text or ignore it. I could then listen and reply to the text via voice. I've not seen Google Now having any ability like that. Also, the reminder functionality doesn't seem to actually remind me. At the appointed time, I'll get a card for my reminder, but there will be now audible or vibration alert. I have tried this with notifications turned on and off (I prefer them off for non-urgent items). Any suggestions on these two issues?

4. Keyboard: When switching from Windows, the last thing I expected to miss was the keyboard. I used the Word Flow input method (aka Swype), and had very high accuracy with it. And when it got the incorrect option, it was virtually always one of the options. I've not had such luck on Android. I ditched the Samsung keyboard almost immediately (I had terrible accuracy on it). I've tried the Google Keyboard, spent the last three weeks on SwiftKey (yes, I let it scan my emails, ect) and also tried Swype. While SwiftKey was the best for me, I've not been overly impressed. Any keyboard recommendations (especially from former Windows Phone 8.1 users)?

1. Apps may not be compatible with Lollipop.

2. Zero performance issues. Could it be your carrier? We need more information.

3. Need more information.

4. Swiftkey is definitely worth another look.

Turak Katase

May 4, 2015
Visit site
1. Apps may not be compatible with Lollipop.

2. Zero performance issues. Could it be your carrier? We need more information.

3. Need more information.

4. Swiftkey is definitely worth another look.

2. I've got a Verizon 32GB S6 Edge. I'm not really expecting much from 1 & 2, as they would be very hard to pin down unless others also have these kind of issues. The issues are primarily UI animations. For example, when I swiped in from the side to open the menu on Google Now earlier today, the animation was very choppy.

3. What kind of information? The first thing was a use case scenario. Is there similar functionality on Android (either built in or via an app) so the phone can read text message to me when connected to a hands free Bluetooth device? As for the reminder functionality, is the lack of audible and vibrate on the notification a bug for Google Now, or am I expected it to do something that it doesn't?

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

I understand a little of what you are going through. I had a Windows Phone 7 a few years back. When I switched to an HTC One M7 I really missed the dedicated camera button. The GS6 solves that somewhat with the option to double tap the home button. I also really missed the auto text reading over Bluetooth. That's not specifically a Cortana feature as it was there before. No real solution for that one I'm afraid. I've tested at least a dozen apps and haven't found that exact functionality. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
2. I've got a Verizon 32GB S6 Edge. I'm not really expecting much from 1 & 2, as they would be very hard to pin down unless others also have these kind of issues. The issues are primarily UI animations. For example, when I swiped in from the side to open the menu on Google Now earlier today, the animation was very choppy.

3. What kind of information? The first thing was a use case scenario. Is there similar functionality on Android (either built in or via an app) so the phone can read text message to me when connected to a hands free Bluetooth device? As for the reminder functionality, is the lack of audible and vibrate on the notification a bug for Google Now, or am I expected it to do something that it doesn't?

2. Access developer options by selecting about device. Press the build number seven times to enable these options. Change 1x to 0.5x or 0x.

I also,agree with an earlier post. Only you can make the decision. If you already made up your mind, there's not a lot we can say. There are issues common to VZW and Sprint that affect a number of users, not only you. There are the rare exceptions on both carriers who are fine.

3. The Drivemode app may be what you are looking for.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Came from 2.5 years of windows phone in October 2014 and it was a breathe of fresh air...too bad you are having the opposite experience. Especially stability, windows wasnt stable since 8 unless you bought a new device every 6 months.

ibuyufo

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
1) I came from a Lumia 920 and I haven't found any issue with apps crashing on my s6 edge. I also have a few apps, about 2 pages worth.

2) I've noticed that sometimes there is a slight lag. I'm hoping that a reported memory issue with be fixed via a software update soon and this will go away.

3) I miss that feature where the car will read out the text and I'm able to answer it. If this does exist in android through some 3rd party up please let me know!

4) I used the stock keyboard on the lumia 920 and I either can't type or have fat fingers. The phone would autocorrect and change it to something else. On android it seems that I can type better and the auto correction seems to be a bit better than windows phone.

eschaaf

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
This is my first Android Phone, after most recently 2.5 years on the Lumia 920. I actually really enjoyed Windows Phone more than most, but I've been loving Android so far.

#1 & #2 - Haven't had any problems with stability or performance yet
#3 - I actually always assumed that texts over Bluetooth was a regular Bluetooth feature and not a WP feature. I actually found this thread b/c I was trying to figure out why my car Bluetooth wasn't reading my text messages. If anyone knows of an app or anything that helps with this, I would love to hear it.
#4 - I agree completely with the OP here, where using Swype on the keyboard hasn't been even close to as accurate as my experience with WP. And worse is that the correction suggestions sometimes don't even have the word I'm looking for. I didn't even realize we could change keyboards, so I'll give that a try too.

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I used 1020 for a long time before switching to Android recently.

Have you done a factory reset, reinstall the apps, see if it continues to crash?

On the keyboard side, I hated the Samsung keyboard. I finally settled on SwiftKey. I really liked the Windows Phone keyboard, but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I was on Windows Phone for a while as well.

maks327

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Another former Lumia 920 user here. I switched over to the S6 from day 1 of its release.

My responses:
1) I loved my 920 but I was having a ton of instability towards the end of it's life with apps crashing and freezing regularly and horribly long "loading" or "reloading" screens, but I was on the developer preview. On my S6, I've had a few app crashes occassionally, but it's pretty rare. Make sure you've got the latest system updates and latest app updates. Try a soft reset (Power + Volume Down for 10-15s) and clearing app cache (restart the phone and hold Power + Volume Up + Home until the little green repair droid shows up, then choose Wipe Cache Partition and then reboot). Worst case try a factory reset and start fresh again.

2) There is some noticeable lag but I think rebooting and clearing the cache seems to help. I'll agree with Ibuyufo that this may all be tied to the system memory issue that will hopefully get resolved eventually. If I don't reboot at least every few days then my S6 often can't even play music and run maps at the same time, and it's all due to overly aggressive memory management and an apparent inability to free up memory when it's really needed.

3) I didn't use this much on my WP. It won't be quite as clean as WP but I do think there are a couple of solutions. You have to break it into two parts - reading texts and replying to them. As for the reading, there are several apps in the play store that will read aloud incoming texts over bluetooth. Alternatively (and my choice), you could use Tasker. There's examples out there of exactly how to do it, just search "tasker reading texts in car". Tasker is one of the most useful apps I think we gain switching away from WP, it just has a little learning curve. For replying, my best recommendation is just to use "OK Google". You can just say "OK Google, Text JaneDoe, I'm headed home" or whatever. It adds an extra couple of steps but it works pretty well.

4) I totally agree with you here. I think the WP8.1 keyboard didn't get enough credit for how good it is. I've tried them all on my S6, and finally settled mostly on the Samsung keyboard or occasionally Swiftkey. You can change the vertical sizes of the keyboards in their settings which sometimes help with detection, but nothing has come close to predicting/correcting swyped in words as well as WP.

Good luck with your S6. Overall I love mine and think the apps, capabilities, and experiences overall make up for anything lacking from WP. And Cortana is supposedly on her way to Android by the end of the month, so we'll see how well that turns out.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Before coming over to Android (Nexus 5 then S6), I was a Lumia 920 and 1020 owner.

For me Windows Phone was near perfection until 8.1 came out...it completely change the OS, my experience was never the same. 8.1 caused my 1020 to reboot randomly, black screens, freezing, heavy lag on start screen. Before 8.1 the OS was unique and its social networking baseline was great. I do agree the 8.1 keyboard was fantastic.

I have no regrets coming over to Android. Windows phone 10 I hoped would be a revolutionary change but instead it looks more of the same, and in 2015 to me it looks dated. I would love to return to windows phone but there really needs to be things on it that Android or ios dont offer.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Came from 2.5 years of windows phone in October 2014 and it was a breathe of fresh air...too bad you are having the opposite experience. Especially stability, windows wasnt stable since 8 unless you bought a new device every 6 months.

Geeez. I still have my touch Pro running Windows 6.5. If the OP wants to see performance issues, stability issues, crashing, unresponsive, etc., I'll be glad to send it to him.

Ntropy99

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I think you summed up well the experience I am having switching from a L928 to the S6. I just can't say that I like the Android experience. The answer to everything is that I need to try another app. Here is my thought - the OS should just do it best. I shouldn't need to find another keyboard option. The OS should have the best that is offered. (And I am still trying to figure out how to uninstall all of the google and Samsung stuff that I replaced with MS apps that I like better)
And I agree, why doesn't the phone that does everything just read Texts when Bluetooth is activated and I am in "drive mode"?
The hardware that is so much better doesn't really give a better experience, it does lag and occasionally I have to restart the phone. This is about the same as my WP.
If Android is where I started, maybe I would see the flaws in WP because the experience is different.
WP is miles ahead of where Windows Mobile 6.5 was, and using that as a point of reference is far off base.
I am reserving judgement on W10M. If MS can use it to get the apps that iOS and Android have and still offer the WP experience, it will be an easy choice for me.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ntropy99 - Android doesn't work that way. Google creates a bare bones framework that either the user (on nexus phones) or a manufacturer customizes according to their design philosophy. On Samsung phones you have a lot of latitude to make alternate choices for launcher, keyboard, interface etc., or to stick with what Samsung thought works best for them.

If you want a complete "100% done out of the box" solution, you should be on iOS.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
For #3, Cortana for Android is going to be available soon.

For the keyboard I still recommend SwiftKey. I've been using Android for over 4 months now, and SwiftKey works as well as WordFlow for me.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think you summed up well the experience I am having switching from a L928 to the S6. I just can't say that I like the Android experience. The answer to everything is that I need to try another app. Here is my thought - the OS should just do it best. I shouldn't need to find another keyboard option. The OS should have the best that is offered. (And I am still trying to figure out how to uninstall all of the google and Samsung stuff that I replaced with MS apps that I like better)
And I agree, why doesn't the phone that does everything just read Texts when Bluetooth is activated and I am in "drive mode"?
The hardware that is so much better doesn't really give a better experience, it does lag and occasionally I have to restart the phone. This is about the same as my WP.
If Android is where I started, maybe I would see the flaws in WP because the experience is different.
WP is miles ahead of where Windows Mobile 6.5 was, and using that as a point of reference is far off base.
I am reserving judgement on W10M. If MS can use it to get the apps that iOS and Android have and still offer the WP experience, it will be an easy choice for me.

Using WM 6.5 is not off base. It was touted and put in direct competition with blackberry and got it's bile handed to them. Why? Because they didn't support it. It had numerous bugs and it's why most users went to either apple or android. Then it took MS years to realize. ...oooops, we messed up. What I'm saying is that nothing is perfect. Nothing ever will be perfect. Heck, even the iphone stutters here and there.

At that time,there were 3 choices android, apple, and winmo. It was the performance issues then that drove people away. Just like you saying that there are issues with android that might drive you away.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Ntropy99 - Android doesn't work that way. Google creates a bare bones framework that either the user (on nexus phones) or a manufacturer customizes according to their design philosophy. On Samsung phones you have a lot of latitude to make alternate choices for launcher, keyboard, interface etc., or to stick with what Samsung thought works best for them.

If you want a complete "100% done out of the box" solution, you should be on iOS.

They said samsung looks cartoony. Whatever. At least we can change it! Look at iOS, it looks like a bag of skittles. Winblows looks like a bunch of blocks that you rearrange to make them fit better. ....kind of like an IQ test.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640, and an S6...my S6 reads text messages through my truck, sends text messages, etc. Mine doesn't have stability issues, and Google Now is much more refined than Cortana. I will say, Cortana kicks *** for her very young age. Stick with it, it's way better than it was 2.5 years ago.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae