[Discussion] Root or No Root?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
[Discussion, not a how-to thread]

So, I hear rumblings on another site about working on Root for the S23 series already.

Back when Android was NEW, yeah, I rooted and did the custom ROM thing and all that.

Nowadays, what's the point?

I have heard the arguments that you need root to de-bloat... flashing an Unlocked Firmware gets rid of carrier bloat.

Is there really a need anymore? I have not rooted any of my phones since before the Note 9 series and I honestly have not had any NEED to do it. Most everything I used to Root for is now available.

The main reason for me to Root was to get HotSpot.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just flash the unlocked firmware to get the calling and texting on other devices that Verizon seems to think they need to block. Maybe on the S23 they won't block it but this is Verizon so I'm not expecting them to leave that feature on the phone.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just flash the unlocked firmware to get the calling and texting on other devices that Verizon seems to think they need to block. Maybe on the S23 they won't block it but this is Verizon so I'm not expecting them to leave that feature on the phone.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

What calling and texting things are they blocking?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What calling and texting things are they blocking?
This in connected devices.
b74c9d5ab2633adee87cc651a37c32ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Damn. Not blocked on my T-Mobile phones.

Thus the reason I have never had Verizon and never will if I can help it.
I don't understand why Verizon blocked it. I think the Verizon messages has this feature, not sure. If they do, then that would be the reason.

I live in rural Iowa it's Verizon or US Cellular. With me being a truck driver I need better nationwide coverage then USCC can give me and USCC has roaming rules also.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To me rooting not worth it , back in the day yes but now nope.

Depending on the root if it Trip Knox then Samsung pay.health, Samsung pass etc .don't work anymore

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Verizon blocked it. I think the Verizon messages has this feature, not sure. If they do, then that would be the reason.

I live in rural Iowa it's Verizon or US Cellular. With me being a truck driver I need better nationwide coverage then USCC can give me and USCC has roaming rules also.

Yes Verizon messages+ has the feature which works quite well actually. AT&T blocks the call & text feature as well. No surprise as they've both been blocking good native Samsung features for years. My biggest gripe was them blocking Samsung cloud.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Man, I have never had Verizon and with all of the horror stories I hear, I am so glad I have never had to deal with them.

I'll keep my T-Mobile. I have NEVER had any issues with them. When I was on Sprint and they merged, I was curious as to what was going to happen. I was on my grandfathered plan, but they gave me such a great deal to change plans (Military Magenta Max now) and even helped me pay off financed devices, I just could not say No, and have not even considered changing because the service is just that good, well, for me at any rate. I just love that, for the first time, my bill is the exact same EVERY MONTH. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo