DNA HERE!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Where and how can we buy the jbutterfly? I'm gonna assume that the phone will work on Verizon's network?

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2

Maybe. The j butterfly is cdma and gsm so in theory, the radio would work. The radio firmware may have to be modified. Verizon cdma only phones will work in Japan to a limited extent, so it should work the other way as well.

Additionally, verizon would only allow phones on their network of their choosing (esn in their database), so you would also need a donor phone, and esn cloning is a gray area at best.

If you absolutely must have the j butterfly, buy it and get it activated to a Japanese carrier with usa roaming capabilities. Then use it in the USA roaming on Verizon's network. Keep in mind though that roaming is typically extremely expensive. But if you must have it at any cost... Then it is possible.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The HTC j butterfly has the same size battery as the DNA so the only difference is the SD slot

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

The j butterfly is waterproof, which makes a big difference for those who like to take their phones for a swim...

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well got this news directly from HTC.

Dear James Phillips,

Unfortunately, the J Butterfly will not function on Verizon?s network. The J Butterfly is a GSM device and Verizon is a CDMA network. As for purchasing a J Butterfly, since this is not sold in the US you will need to search online to find this device.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, James.

from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I will be jumping the HTC ship. March I upgrade. Swallowing my words. I hope the Samsung signal will work in cave creek. Past phone did not fair well. I will give it the test come march. Either the S3 or the note.

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just found out there is an upgrade on my plan(not mine of course;-)). This phone is more than tempting...

Won't happen, but I can dream can't I. It's just so sexy

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I will be jumping the HTC ship. March I upgrade. Swallowing my words. I hope the Samsung signal will work in cave creek. Past phone did not fair well. I will give it the test come march. Either the S3 or the note.

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

Gotta believe another model will be introduced more to your liking by then. Don't know when the LG Optimus Blaze will be introduced, but it has the chance to be the top contender on Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well got this news directly from HTC.

Dear James Phillips,

Unfortunately, the J Butterfly will not function on Verizon?s network. The J Butterfly is a GSM device and Verizon is a CDMA network. As for purchasing a J Butterfly, since this is not sold in the US you will need to search online to find this device.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, James.

from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2

The j butterfly uses the same radio as the dna, and reportedly same as the sixth gen iPhone. This radio is cdma/gsm/lte. So hardware wise, it would work. Now, firmware and software may or may not support it, but it could in theory be reprogrammed if one had the skills.

The radio is not on the same chip as the cpu on the dna, same as the Thunderbolt and Rezound. Phones like the gs3,one x have the radios onboard the cpu chip.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Re-looking at this I think the only thing that would bother me is the size. My Rezound can fit inside my wife's Spectrums screen and its screen is 4.5" vs 4.3" on the Rezound so you can see how a seemingly small size difference is actually quite large. Holding hers I find it a big phone and about as large as I would go and the DNA at 5" might be way to big. Be like talking on a tablet to my head. But this is just my preferences as I could live with the memory and battery.

To eat my own words....I was looking at the SG3 this weekend and it is not as big as I thought. So if the DNA is similar it won't be as big as I thought. The phone does look impressive. I can live with the memory and if the battery is really improved I may pick one up after some more reviews are in.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To eat my own words....I was looking at the SG3 this weekend and it is not as big as I thought. So if the DNA is similar it won't be as big as I thought. The phone does look impressive. I can live with the memory and if the battery is really improved I may pick one up after some more reviews are in.

S4 chips are pretty efficient compared to s3. Compared to the rezound, the dna should have substantially better battery life. If battery life for heavy usage between charges is a major concern, I would suggest a phone with a removable battery or at least a 3000mah+ battery on a current chip.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you live in a fringe area be sure you compare the dBm signal on the DNA to your Rezound. I found in my area the DNA signal streength was a good -10 dBm weaker than my rezound and for me thats the difference of a signal and no signal where I live.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so finally got to use one today. Holly crap the thing is smooth. No dropped frames at all and everything was instant. Of course the screen was beautiful as well. HTC just make phones that feel awesome in the hand! 5" screen and feels not much larger than my rebound.

Needless to say I want one:)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Pretty impressive phone. Love the display, but worry about having that large a screen and apps that are not set up for that size.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums