Do I need a TMobile phone to acitvate my Galaxy Watch? (Sprint User)

Guitar_Jesus

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So I went into TMobile to get the Galaxy Watch and the CSR told me the watch will be able to text AND make calls with just having a watch on my account. Got the watch activated, LTE is working, and no phone number shows up for the watch. Went to the TMo store, and the guy tells me I need to have a Tmobile phone also.

Is there any way around this? I wouldn't have wasted my money and just bought the bluetooth version if they told me that up front.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Pretty sure the only way you're using the watch independent of the phone is if you have it activated on t-mobile with a phone number from them. Otherwise you're just using it as a Bluetooth version connected to your sprint phone. T-mobile has digits which allows you to sync your watch sim to your phone number and work independently from your phone with the same number.

Short answer, use it as Bluetooth only or switch to t-mobile. Coming from sprint myself I'd say it's a no brainer. Tmobile gets better service almost everywhere I go and it's almost twice as fast. Plus they'll pay off your sprint account.

Guitar_Jesus

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the only way you're using the watch independent of the phone is if you have it activated on t-mobile with a phone number from them. Otherwise you're just using it as a Bluetooth version connected to your sprint phone. T-mobile has digits which allows you to sync your watch sim to your phone number and work independently from your phone with the same number.

Short answer, use it as Bluetooth only or switch to t-mobile. Coming from sprint myself I'd say it's a no brainer. Tmobile gets better service almost everywhere I go and it's almost twice as fast. Plus they'll pay off your sprint account.

Unfortunately, I have 6 more phones (wife, kids, in-laws), and an Ipad on my Sprint account. I wish it was that easy. Someone else in this thread

You set up call forwarding for the watch in the galaxy wearables app. The text will automatically forwarded if you have stand alone mode on(when disconnected from bluetooth).View attachment 289143

Guitar_Jesus

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, I have 6 more phones (wife, kids, in-laws), and an Ipad on my Sprint account. I wish it was that easy. Someone else in another thread said this:

You set up call forwarding for the watch in the galaxy wearables app. The text will automatically forwarded if you have stand alone mode on(when disconnected from bluetooth).View attachment 289143

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have 6 more phones (wife, kids, in-laws), and an Ipad on my Sprint account. I wish it was that easy. Someone else in another thread said this:
Unfortunately I don't believe t-mobile let's you do this anymore. They are pushing digits on everyone. Luckily I'm grandfathered so I don't have to worry about the new plan.

Guitar_Jesus

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't believe t-mobile let's you do this anymore. They are pushing digits on everyone. Luckily I'm grandfathered so I don't have to worry about the new plan.

I used a friend's S7 on T-mobile and activated the LTE and phone number for the watch. Now to figure out call forwarding when bluetooth is disconnected. Someone posted a picture of a call forward setting, but my gear app doesn't show that option.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I used a friend's S7 on T-mobile and activated the LTE and phone number for the watch. Now to figure out call forwarding when bluetooth is disconnected. Someone posted a picture of a call forward setting, but my gear app doesn't show that option.
Lol that was me. I have the call forwarding feature on my s3, but they may have removed it on the galaxy watch. It would be in the settings tab right above about gear.Screenshot_20180909-070749_Gear%20S%20Plugin.jpg

ScottyKnox

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I carry a Galaxy S-9 provide by work that is on Verizon. My family is all on T-Mobile so I used my daughters Note 5 to activate. I still had to do it at a T Mobile store. The 2 store Reps were nice but not trained up on the Galaxy Watch. We eventually got it activated.

There are a few workarounds to get your calls forwarded. Look up you carrier and how to call forward. On Verizon from the dialpad *71 will call forward after 4-5 rings. *72 will call forward immediately. *73 turns off call forward. Each carrier is different, google you carrier for call forward.

I run a program called Automagic. I have it set so that when my Galaxy watch breaks connection with my S-9 it automatically dials *72 and send all calls immediately to my watch. When I come back in range of the phone and it BT connects it them autodials *73 and turns off call forward. Really handy at work when I leave my phone on the desk and walk away, and also when I run out on the weekends and forget my phone at home.