Do I really need the APN?

cobaltdragons00

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I know this isn't 6P specific, but...

Question about APNs.

I have a Nexus 6P, which I ordered direct from Google as part of Project Fi. I left Project Fi after about 9 months and went with T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan. I've been happy on that for a year now, and just this week I changed to MintSim, a T-Mobile mvno.

When I switched to T-Mobile from Fi, I activated the SIM and put it in my phone and it just worked fine. I didn't manually add or edit any APN settings. The phone automatically added an APN for "T-Mobile GPRS", configured to fast.t-mobile.com.

The instructions with the MintSim include directs to add a new APN. However, I noticed that when I put in the MintSim and activated it and ported my number over, that everything worked just fine. Texts, calls, data, etc...it all worked even though I was still on the T-Mobile APN.

I can understand why that would still work since MintSim is using T-Mobile's network. It makes sense.

Do I need to go ahead and add the specific MintSim APN? Will it make any difference? Will I encounter problems if I don't add it?

It has the following settings:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ns%26subid%3DUUacUvbUpU5735677&token=DrLfTkS-

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It depends.
Some APNs have a subset of features of the "preferred" APN, AT&T has 3 that are all increasing in feature-sets (if your phone is capable and allowed).

If you don't see any "de-featured" issues, such as losing WiFi call/text, or things like significantly slower data speeds, then it's possible that MintSim is just using the default APN (and not using it as a value-add).

If there's a MintSim support forum, it might be a better place to get a more concise/definitive answer.