Do I really need virus protection?

PretzelLogic

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7, it came with Lookout, which I don't use, I disabled it. I am a minimalist when it comes to apps, and I would only ever download an app from Google Play. Is the threat of viruses on Android so serious that I should be using protection?

If so, what does the forum recommend? I never used any virus protection with my iPhones, but I know iOS is more sandboxed than Android.

djdonnyk

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would say yes, it doesn't hurt. I have been using avast for several years with no complaints or viruses. It's free and does the job.

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams!

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you need it. I've been using Lookout since my first smart phone 4 years ago. I tried Avast because I've been using it successfully on my pc for years, but it was a big battery hog. Might not be anymore tho.

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the same page as LanceAllan. I've found that these programs are more intrusive and annoying than they're worth. Just practicing good data hygiene with your phone will prevent infections. The first thing I do when I have a new phone is make Lookout go away. The second thing I do is direct a stream of swears at Lookout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753