Do Not Disturb keeps turning itself off

A

AC Question

I have a new Samsung S8. I use Do Not Disturb to silence the phone both during appointments (scheduled on my calendar) and at night. However, it seems to be turning itself off (meaning the app itself turns off, not the sounds). I turn it on in Settings/Sounds and Vibration/Do Not Disturb, but then when I go back in it has turned itself off again. I have the specific settings in Apps/Do Not Disturb. What's causing this?

[Related, I just got a notification that the Do Not Disturb trial has expired. But DND is now built into Nougat, right? In my S5, I think had installed a separate app.]

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Yeah, the trial notice is a little weird as it's an OS app on the S8. DND does not show up on my S8+ in Apps. I'm thinking you are using an installed app, not the OS version.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Mod Note: Thread moved for better visibility.

greenbergman

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Somehow I'm now logged - not sure how that suddenly happened without my doing anything - meaning I already had an account. (The instructions, btw, say the profile button is at the upper right when it's actually at the upper left.)

How do I figure out if I am using an installed app vs a built in one?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How do I figure out if I am using an installed app vs a built in one?

Quick is go to Play Store online, choose Apps and then look for My Apps. You can also use Play on your phone and look at Installed. That will show everything you've downloaded. You can also boot into Safe Mode which disables all downloaded software and you run on system apps only.

greenbergman

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I did indeed have the Cabooze Do Not Disturb app installed. I'd needed it with my S5 and it got transferred over with my other apps to my S8. I've uninstalled it. But now how do I instruct the OS app to silence during appointments? I don't see anything about it in the Do Not Disturb settings accessed through Settings. Under Custom Exceptions,
it refers to "allow notifications from Calendar events," but that doesn't sound like the right setting. I'm not looking for notifications. (screenshots attached.)Screenshot_DoNotDisturb.jpgScreenshot_DoNotDisturb2.jpg