Do SD Cards use more power?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So I ordered the 512 mainly for the 8GB future proofing. The 512 is absolute overkill for my usage so even though I have a 256GB SD in my current phone, I dont plan on moving it over.

So my question to the peanut gallery is whether or not you think the phone's reading or writing to an SD Card versus internal storage drains the battery faster?

Personally I would think it does.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it would be noticeble to be honest but the SD card would definately be slower than just the internal storage, again not that noticeble I suppose until it gets pretty full.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Yes, it uses power, extra processor and has time delay and compatility issues
issues with many apps for full functionality.
If you insist on installing it, only put media.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The use of the card would take more energy. I would say it's negligible, though. As for the read/write, it is slower regardless of how full it is.

Unless you really wanted the 8 GB of RAM, the 512 is most likely overkill. How full is your current phone?

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
The use of the card would take more energy. I would say it's negligible, though. As for the read/write, it is slower regardless of how full it is.

Unless you really wanted the 8 GB of RAM, the 512 is most likely overkill. How full is your current phone?
Get a good card with high read/write speeds, sure it uses meniscal micro voltages. If you have battery issues it's not due to micro SD card drainage. Manage your apps!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Unless you keep your phones for 2+ years, you aren't really future proofing anything by getting the 512
True but games and apps are getting alot bigger and drain more resources to use, so the 8 Gb will definately help going forward if someone plans on keeping this phone for 2years.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
True but games and apps are getting alot bigger and drain more resources to use, so the 8 Gb will definately help going forward if someone plans on keeping this phone for 2years.
The 8 gigs of ram is for naught until the app developers get a kit that can access it all.