Do you prefer Metal or Glass for the back of a smartphone?

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s+, previously had a S7 and I love the metal better. Resists fingerprints nicely, feels premium, has that cool touch to it if your in a cold room and I've dropped it so many times with a very slim spigen clear case and only managed to get one dent near the headphone jack.

Glass shatters and gets fingerprints like no tommorow, but it's extremely beautiful especially the silver S8 when the light reflects off of it.

I think my favorite designed android phone is the LGV20 because it's the only phone I know to have a metal back but still removable battery.

What material do you guys prefer for the back of your phones?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The rubbery plastic of the Nexus 5, for example, is pretty good....looks smart, does not seem cheap, and grips well. Mine is still in good condition after over three years of use.
Given the choice between glass and metal, I'd prefer metal. Glass is indeed attractive but seems to be asking for trouble.
I suppose that the manufacturers have also to consider the effect of different materials on the device's radios.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer metal better.I never had an glass body phone.Just an all glass phone is going to be moreover fragile.
So if it is dropped not only risk getting screen cracked but also the back getting cracked.
I agree glass looks good to tho.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do like glass now, after using my Honor 8 for about six months. You have to be more careful with it, of course, but the feel and look of glass is incomparable.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, neither.

I'm not a huge fan of the current trend of going metal and glass as the material choices for smartphones nowadays. Yes, they do give a premium look and feel, but metal can be scratched and dented when impacted and glass is slippery, fragile and a complete fingerprint magnet.

My favorite design has to be a combination of a rubberized plastic back and metal sides with slightly curved glass on the front. I personally think it looks great, gives off a great feel in the hand and doesn't give up any of that "premium" feel. In fact, I actually think it looks more premium that way, like an exquisite piece of fine craftsmanship.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
My favorite design has to be a combination of a rubberized plastic back and metal sides
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Plastic or any kind of composite material that 1) wouldn't jerk the price of a phone skyhigh and 2) wouldn't interfere with radios and wireless chargers.

Gun to my head, though, if metal and glass were my only options, all other specs being equal, I'd lean toward glass because of the wireless charging thing.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
For a cellphone I prefer a high grade carbon fiber that is removable.

I don't need waterproofing, because I don't use my phone as a underwater camera,and have used my phone in a pouring down rain storm without damaging it.

Now I know carbon fiber will add to the price,but I am willing to pay more to get more,and I know most people would.

The issue is the vast majority of people are being duped into buying in on having a very fragile handheld devices​made out of glass. it's a conspiracy... There's not a good reason to use this material,and yet every review I read promote it over commonly used materials...

Glass is not a premium material,it just looks nicer than most plastics that have been used...It cost more and doesn't take the abuse that most cellphones get.

A rubbery type grip would be good too,but so many people want to pull them out of their pockets easily and have complained..

Metal backed phones are ok too..like my v20.They are easily made,and easily removed and can be made beautiful...and yes a case is needed,but acceptable IMHO.

Apple started this lunacy to accepting glass encased phones as premium.. I wished they never had.

Mac

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For a cellphone I prefer a high grade carbon fiber that is removable.

I don't need waterproofing, because I don't use my phone as a underwater camera,and have used my phone in a pouring down rain storm without damaging it.

Now I know carbon fiber will add to the price,but I am willing to pay more to get more,and I know most people would.

The issue is the vast majority of people are being duped into buying in on having a very fragile handheld devices​made out of glass. it's a conspiracy... There's not a good reason to use this material,and yet every review I read promote it over commonly used materials...

Glass is not a premium material,it just looks nicer than most plastics that have been used...It cost more and doesn't take the abuse that most cellphones get.

A rubbery type grip would be good too,but so many people want to pull them out of their pockets easily and have complained..

Metal backed phones are ok too..like my v20.They are easily made,and easily removed and can be made beautiful...and yes a case is needed,but acceptable IMHO.

Apple started this lunacy to accepting glass encased phones as premium.. I wished they never had.

Mac

Though I do like glass backs, I certainly agree with your assessment. Metal and carbon fiber backs/materials certainly do last longer and if you're rough on your phones, getting a glass one is not a good idea. I'm very cautious and conscious of my Honor 8's glass body and so it never leaves my place without a tempered glass screen protector and a case. However, those two things won't hold up the phone's safety in the event of a bad fall. I've come to accept that. Using a glass phone is nice but it comes with a few "prices," so to speak.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Though I do like glass backs, I certainly agree with your assessment. Metal and carbon fiber backs/materials certainly do last longer and if you're rough on your phones, getting a glass one is not a good idea. I'm very cautious and conscious of my Honor 8's glass body and so it never leaves my place without a tempered glass screen protector and a case. However, those two things won't hold up the phone's safety in the event of a bad fall. I've come to accept that. Using a glass phone is nice but it comes with a few "prices," so to speak.

It comes with too many prices actually.

The more I think about it the more mad I get .

It's a conspiracy to get us to change phones often or pay to have the phones repaired in one way or another.

Take away the option to let the consumer easily replace the battery... People profit from that. Take away the ota chipset in the phone, people profit from this. Make the phone susceptible to cracking.. again people profit from it.. Who looses.. The consumers do.

Sure Sure the people want bezeless phones, and pretty backs... Why... Because this is what the masses have been led to believe... And by who? You don't have to look to far from here to see who is promoting this crap.

The funny thing is we can have it all including waterproof phones with removable backs and replaceable batteries without sealing the back on.

LG and others know how to do this, but they won't. and that is strictly profit inspired.

Mac

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It comes with too many prices actually.

The more I think about it the more mad I get .

It's a conspiracy to get us to change phones often or pay to have the phones repaired in one way or another.

Take away the option to let the consumer easily replace the battery... People profit from that. Take away the ota chipset in the phone, people profit from this. Make the phone susceptible to cracking.. again people profit from it.. Who looses.. The consumers do.

Sure Sure the people want bezeless phones, and pretty backs... Why... Because this is what the masses have been led to believe... And by who? You don't have to look to far from here to see who is promoting this crap.

The funny thing is we can have it all including waterproof phones with removable backs and replaceable batteries without sealing the back on.

LG and others know how to do this, but they won't. and that is strictly profit inspired.

Mac

Yup, a lot of the motive behind this could easily be profit and consumers purchasing multiple devices even faster than they would normally due to glass cracks, etc. I for one would love to have a removable battery again. My phone is glitching? Battery pull. Or you could buy multiple batteries and swap em out. If your battery is corrupt or failing, you can merely buy a new battery instead of a new phone or paying the manufacturer to fix your phone.

Blah. I miss removable batteries. I'd rather have that over waterproofing, as I'm not really one who needs such a feature.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just get erked by any reviewer lamenting on a phone because it isn't a glass backed design.

I've seen enough sites putting phones down and calling them dated...

There comes a point when people like myself are going to revolt buying any phone if this is all that is offered.

Practically over looks...

Mac

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just get erked by any reviewer lamenting on a phone because it isn't a glass backed design.

There comes a point when people like myself are going to revolt buying any phone if this is all that is offered.

Mac

A glass back design is great if you like style and looks, but it's not always a good long-term product. If you drop your phone a few times a year on average, for example, if your phone is metal or plastic, it may not suffer that much damage. But one drop at the wrong angle for a glass phone and it's in huge trouble. I'm constantly afraid of my phone dropping. This thing will shatter into a thousand pieces if it falls the wrong way!

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site

Mac

I'm already at that point, plan to stick with the Note 4 for the foreseeable future. Have two of them (in case something happens to one) along with numerous spare batteries.

natm88

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
Metal all the way. I am already too good at smashing the glass on the front, don't want to have to worry about the back as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1