Do you switch off power before insert/remove sim card and micro sd card?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
1. Do I need to turn off the phone before insert/remove sim card?
2. Do I need to turn off the phone before insert/remove micro sd card?
3. If the phone is powered on now, can I do some steps like unmount before insert/remove micro sd card and insert/remove while it is powered on? How to unmount?
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, you don't have to power off. SIM cards can be removed at any time. The only thing to do before removing an SD card is to Unmount it (in the Settings>Storage​ menu). If you don't see an option with the word "Unmount," then look for an Eject icon associated with the SD card.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If I did not do the Unmount step, I only switch off the phone then remove SD card during the phone is off, is it ok? Will it cause any problem to the SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say "switch off," do you mean completely powering off, or just putting the screen to sleep? If the former, then it's ok. If the latter, then there's still potential for causing data corruption. The issue is that you don't want to remove the card while a read/write operation might be in progress, because if you do, that could cause corruption. Just because the phone's screen is asleep doesn't necessarily mean the system isn't accessing the card for some reason. To be safe, always Unmount/Eject the SD card before physically removing it, or completely power the phone down before removing it.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Since Samsung Note 8 has the SIM card and Micro SD card slot together in the same tray, both cards will be removed even if I only intend to remove either one card. Am I correct to say that even though you said SIM card can be removed anytime, I should also Unmount Micro SD card or completely powering off the phone before removing SIM card since pulling out the SIM card tray will also pull out the Micro SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In those situations, then yes, it'd be a good idea to Unmount the SD card before removing the tray.