Does the galaxy S4 overheat?

hovermet

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to getting my first android phone after playing with my friend's note2. I got over the issue of getting a inferior version of the phone compared to the one Korean got for similar price.

Recently, i read the news and it said the phone overheats. I asked my friend who traveled back to Asia to bring back an exynos version of the s4 because i dont use data so i prefer a octa-core over LTE.

It seems like most of the overheating issue occurs on the octa-core version due to poor optimization, use of material and poor design.

How is everyone's s4? Does it overheat? Which version of the phone do you have?

I'm abit worried cuz if i did get a s4 from oversea, i cannot refund/exchange if anything goes wrong.

Please share your experiences ty.

Daniel Mclean

May 5, 2013
Visit site
what do you mean "overheat"

mine doesnt get that hot too often unless playing intensive games such as real racing 3, it gets warm on games like angry birds, i have no worries

hovermet

May 4, 2013
Visit site

mine doesnt get that hot too often unless playing intensive games such as real racing 3, it gets warm on games like angry birds, i have no worries

There are lots of complains that the phone gets up to 50+ degrees when browsing the internet and playing 3d intensive games. The octa-core bounces from 0-100% usage for no reason. The area near the camera is gets really hot. Similar issue is found on the quad-core as well but not as many. There are also sensor/battery drainage issue.

no issues with heat for me with Qualcomm 600 quad core!

Cheers

The quad-core looks good^^.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm I have never experienced any overheating with mine and I have the octa core... It does get a bit warm when I leave it on the charger, but not really hot

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!

louismac90

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
When i first received my s4 on 27th april it got hot so i did a full battery cycle charge and now its fine gets hot playing games around the camera area but battery is fine!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Considering the S3 can get toasty and the S4 uses the same micron process, but twice as fast and twice the pixels for the gpu to push- seems a given it will have a high chance to overheat. Especially when ambient temperatures start going up.

The One must get even hotter due to the closed design.

murukan

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes the answer is YES samsung galaxy s4 overheats up to 58 degrees in my handset.
Especially on web browsing gaming and watching video..the region besides the camera area get immensely hot and becomes very uncomfortable to hold or handle..to make a call is not only risky but chances of getting burns in ear lobes..

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Mine don't overheat either and my phone is great with no lag but when you play real racing is there any problems it seems almost log it stutters or lags don't know what to call it I only ever played on iOS till now and was def smoother is this normal

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The S3 gets hot and can overheat, so seems obvious a device with same plastic build, micron fabrication with faster cpu, gpu and twice the pixels will get even hotter. Not sure how people can no accept that reality.

When ambient temperature and humidity starts going up for some, I guess that is when they will.

On top of this it is a tad lighter, so no way they added any more internal changes for better heat dissipation.

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
About 10 days ago I upgrades and got my wife and I S4's.

Her's has been just fine. No overheating or anything. Mine would get hot all the time. Not even playing games. We would both be on Facebook or checking e-mails and mine would get hot at the top of the phone. Her's was fine. I took mine back yesterday and told them about it. They gave me a brand new phone. Hope this one is good.

scoutbb

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The only time my Galaxy S4 gets very warm is when using Skype and my older HTC One X did the same. This is clearly an application issue but it never overheats or makes the phone shut-off.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes the answer is YES samsung galaxy s4 overheats up to 58 degrees in my handset.
Especially on web browsing gaming and watching video..the region besides the camera area get immensely hot and becomes very uncomfortable to hold or handle..to make a call is not only risky but chances of getting burns in ear lobes..
If it gets that hot, you sure have a defective one and should return it ...... mine gets warm but no hot.... I haven't had one phone yet that doesn't gets warm at one point in time while playing a game or browsing and I am talking from a Black Berry to an HTC SENSATION to an HTC ONE S to GALAXY S3 and now with the S4....

Rohan Yadav

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
yes it gets heated up like hell
while downloading and web browsing it gets easily to 45-50 degrees
and while playing games it stays around 58-59
yesterday my phone reached a temp of 61*c
hell man how do you expect to hold something that hot
and those who say dont play games and all then whats the use of such a power full phone lol
imgres

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
yes it gets heated up like hell
while downloading and web browsing it gets easily to 45-50 degrees
and while playing games it stays around 58-59
yesterday my phone reached a temp of 61*c
hell man how do you expect to hold something that hot
and those who say dont play games and all then whats the use of such a power full phone lol
Google Image Result for http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Galaxy-S4-Overheat.jpg

That's 141.8 degrees Fahrenheit!!

"Blisters can occur in 5 seconds in water if the temperature is 140? Fahrenheit (60? Celsius). 120 degrees and below is considered safe. Between 121-140 degrees may cause blistering, but depends on skin type and age of person."

If it was really that hot you wouldn't be able to hold it in your hand. Your post is hard to believe. But assuming you are factual why on earth haven't you returned the phone?

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Getting warm while plugged in the charger is normal for any phone. My brother's iPhone 4s gets warm too.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
If it gets that hot then go exchange it. If you're after the 14 day return period then get a warranty replacement.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: