Does the OnePlus 5 really compete?

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If someone offered to trade me a new note 8 for my Oneplus 5, I'd accept.

Then I'd sell the note 8 unopened, buy a new Oneplus 5 and pocket the extra cash! ... Actually, I probably wouldn't... Seems like effort.

To be honest, it depends what you want... If you want the fastest and most powerful phone, go Oneplus. If you like the "value added" Samsung stuff like the ****tier version of Google now with a hardware key, or a better (not best) camera, the actual best display or the bezel thing or stylus, and can put up with the crappy biometrics, go note.

So you feel the OnePlus 5 is going to be more powerful than the Note 8? Why? Specs? Hardware?

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, It does compete... Ive owned an S8+, G6 , U Ultra, U11... and IMO, the camera is actually pretty good..

The thing I find with the camera, like the 6P / Pixel XL and Xperia XZ... EIS tends to give a slightly softer image than an OIS controlled sensor... but its by no means bad, its just a different way of image processing..

Personally.. Ive tended to use OIS cameras, but OIS..like on the G6 and S8 can sometimes aggressively over-sharpen and process the image which can look a bit fake and cartoon-ish.

If your coming from OIS, EIS cameras can take getting used too, but once you do... they can look much more natural and "real", also giving better lighting and, in some case, better dynamic range..

But to each their own I guess... but what happens is.. folk tend to start looking at "Quality perfection" rather than enjoying the image and taking nice photos.. which in the end, is what its all about really.. :)

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Yes, It does compete... Ive owned an S8+, G6 , U Ultra, U11... and IMO, the camera is actually pretty good..

The thing I find with the camera, like the 6P / Pixel XL and Xperia XZ... EIS tends to give a slightly softer image than an OIS controlled sensor... but its by no means bad, its just a different way of image processing..

Personally.. Ive tended to use OIS cameras, but OIS..like on the G6 and S8 can sometimes aggressively over-sharpen and process the image which can look a bit fake and cartoon-ish.

If your coming from OIS, EIS cameras can take getting used too, but once you do... they can look much more natural and "real", also giving better lighting and, in some case, better dynamic range..

But to each their own I guess... but what happens is.. folk tend to start looking at "Quality perfection" rather than enjoying the image and taking nice photos.. which in the end, is what its all about really.. :)

Good point, and not too different from a point I have made previously.
Saying something is bad because it is lacking something, or some specific implementation of something isn't right when that isn't necessarily "better" in all respects.

USB-C Headphones are a trend only in devices with size constraints, not those without.
So size is the driving factor there.

Non-standard aspect ratio screens work when you have the right media to support them, and are simply a compromise in some way when not. Either letterboxed, or stretched.

Curved edge screens are going to have an impact on the display of information or content at the edge.

The new is great for people who it suits, that just isn't everyone for good reasons.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but a dongle or adapter for headphones isn't convenient, or practical for me and my usage and experience of music on a mobile device doesn't currently justify moving to the new interface.

I like a consistent display experience as much as possible, and my eyesight is far from what people can call great, so a flat display works best for me.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Good point, and not too different from a point I have made previously.
Saying something is bad because it is lacking something, or some specific implementation of something isn't right when that isn't necessarily "better" in all respects.

USB-C Headphones are a trend only in devices with size constraints, not those without.
So size is the driving factor there.

Non-standard aspect ratio screens work when you have the right media to support them, and are simply a compromise in some way when not. Either letterboxed, or stretched.

Curved edge screens are going to have an impact on the display of information or content at the edge.

The new is great for people who it suits, that just isn't everyone for good reasons.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but a dongle or adapter for headphones isn't convenient, or practical for me and my usage and experience of music on a mobile device doesn't currently justify moving to the new interface.

I like a consistent display experience as much as possible, and my eyesight is far from what people can call great, so a flat display works best for me.

Exactly, basically.. one size does not fit all... Im like yourself, my eyesight isnt that great either.. but its good enough to spot a bad image from a good one.

Im not saying 1+ are perfect... absolutely not.. in fact, I took a portrait shot today.. and it was abysmal and I whole heartedly support the folk that take to forums and tech support and pull developers to deliver what they promised, but I think the media, youtube and reviews are leading people false.

They seem obssessed with low light and this "Team Crispy" thats been created "if the image isnt razor sharp, then its rubbish".... rather than focusing on great photos, composing your subject and promoting that true photography is in the eye of the photographer, not what YouTube tells you it is...

The OP5 camera isnt perfect, but just because it doesnt have OIS, that doesnt make it a bad camera.. Youve got to work at your photography.. and the OP5, like the Xperias.. requires learning its quirks... if you want a point and shoot for FB / SnapChat or Twitter.. thats what Samsungs are for, otherwise... crack on and Just Enjoy your photograpohy and dont worry about how Crispy it is..

Some of the best images Ive ever taken have been from wierd angles or strange focusing.. but as long as OnePlus continue to develop the 5 and Yes, ill admit.. keep updating the camera to be the best it can be... then it'll become a great shooter, but you gotta remember its only a PHONE camera with a tiny sensor the size of a babies finger nail, not a DSLR with a 2-inch sensor :)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit I was hesitant at first because I was still Google over my S8's but IMO it does especially in markets where Dual SIM phones aren't easily accessible.

Right Asus is the only other option for me and couldn't pull the trigger and have no idea why.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
There isn't a phone I don't think that is simply best at everything.
Where OP5 does compete - performance, battery life, software experience.
Where it falls short, camera, audio, aesthetics.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all... I think the One+ 5 fills a very important space in the smartphone ecosystem. After the discontinuation of the Nexsu series, One+ has gotten the niche right, in balanceing hardware and software with a comfortable price point. Right now, I am still rocking a nexus 5 and an LG G3, as I try to hold on to handsets closer to three years than two. Maybe this is the year I go One+.

Couldn't agree with you more. I loved my Nexus 5 (and my LG G3!), and I definitely think that OP made the wise decision to be the "middle man" in the smartphone world economy. A wise move, and they are literally cashing in on it.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. I loved my Nexus 5 (and my LG G3!), and I definitely think that OP made the wise decision to be the "middle man" in the smartphone world economy. A wise move, and they are literally cashing in on it.

Arguable how long they will be cashing in on it, now with increased competition in that area.
But we should look at what OnePlus did for that.
If it wasn't for their phones, would we really be getting anything aiming at the flagships without the price to match.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Arguable how long they will be cashing in on it, now with increased competition in that area.
But we should look at what OnePlus did for that.
If it wasn't for their phones, would we really be getting anything aiming at the flagships without the price to match.

True that, especially now that the OP5 is priced much higher than its predecessor. You have a valid point, for sure - OP has really done a good job at finding a middle ground between low-end and high-end devices. The OP5 is a gorgeous device with good specs. I'm interested in seeing if they will also do a "T" version of this phone.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
True that, especially now that the OP5 is priced much higher than its predecessor. You have a valid point, for sure - OP has really done a good job at finding a middle ground between low-end and high-end devices. The OP5 is a gorgeous device with good specs. I'm interested in seeing if they will also do a "T" version of this phone.

Very possible.
They certainly set a precedent within their own products anyway with the 3t.
Not enough yet to decide if its a trend yet or not.

Just really wondering where the upgrade would come from.
Seems the upside down screen has been a consequence of space constraints largely, which if still applicable for the 5t is going to severely restrict what they could potentially upgrade without breaking the form factor, something essential for the t model to share accessories like cases.

Unless they can rework either the internals to make more space, or make a QHD screen that is no larger in size.
Supposedly a software update coming to have some positive impact on the jelly effect, which if completely or sufficiently effective would at least ease the work required for such a model.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Very possible.
They certainly set a precedent within their own products anyway with the 3t.
Not enough yet to decide if its a trend yet or not.

Just really wondering where the upgrade would come from.
Seems the upside down screen has been a consequence of space constraints largely, which if still applicable for the 5t is going to severely restrict what they could potentially upgrade without breaking the form factor, something essential for the t model to share accessories like cases.

Unless they can rework either the internals to make more space, or make a QHD screen that is no larger in size.
Supposedly a software update coming to have some positive impact on the jelly effect, which if completely or sufficiently effective would at least ease the work required for such a model.

For sure! We'll see if that's just a one-off or if it will actually become a trend. I did hear about the software update that supposedly has a fix of some sort for the jelly effect. I guess only time will tell how that works or how they can remedy that in future models.